Tree'd vs. Tree -less saddles.

cowgirl16

Visit site
My current western saddle is going to have to be replaced shortly - I'm toying with the idea of buying a Barefoot Arizona Nut western saddle. I'm liking most of what I'm reading about these things - but part of me is still concerned about the stability thing. Most of the write-ups recommend you don't attempt to mount from the ground. (not that I do - but that's neither here nor there.) My very broad shouldered AQH is difficult to find a saddle for - I can have one made to fit him - but the end cost is going to be close to £3000! and the miser in me is scared to death about the cost!Anyone out there have one of these saddles? What are your views? Good, bad or indifferent - I'd love to hear!

Shady

Visit site
Hi Cowgirl16
I haven't tried the Arizona Nut but i did start with a good second hand Arizona when i first got my horse and i found it very unstable and i'm not sure if it was the cinch or just a combination of my round horse and the lack of leg flaps?( gawd i can't think of the blummin word) on the saddle. If you look at the design both saddles are the same in shape and the difference is just in the leather. I spoke to Barefoot and was advised that this was not a good style for my horse( chunky Arab ) and he'd be better with a Cherokee, Cheyenne, or any other style with sides to wrap around him a bit more. In saying this i know there is a lady in England who has loads of AQH and she uses them.
The Barefoot lady was lovely and also quietly suggested i look at Trekker for my horse as they are really short and because he had big shoulders and high withers i could adjust it better for him and in fact i bought a new one of those and it was wonderful! ( almost like riding western, more comfortable than a Barefoot and you ride long) .I rode in that for 5 odd years until it got damaged by my other horse and i bought another really good secondhand Barefoot to tide me over but this time i went for the Cherokee Classic and it is a really nice saddle that does stay in place and i can mount from the ground if i have to. I don't think there is a lot of difference in the seat compared to the Arizona either. I don't think it's as good as a Trekker in quality but my horse likes it so while i save for another Trekker( got my eye on the new Aussie one) it will do.
If you do opt for the Arizona Nut i remember the lady mentioning that the leather is stiffer on them and takes longer to settle.
I would honestly see if you can test one first before buying as they are not cheap and despite what some people think Barefoot do not fit all horses and often not the rider either!