treeless saddles pros and cons please :)

MrVelvet

Visit site
I have an English leather saddle, used but in good condition. I have now been offered a newer treeless saddle one is a Solution which I have ridden in before as they used them at the ex-racehorse place I used to work at but the other I have not. I know very little about them! Could people give me their experiences of use, usability, sizing.... and anything else they know :)

PS it's for a growing youngster!

darkhorse123

Visit site
love mine = perfect for my ever changing shape cob!
When his tack was stolen i bought a cheap libra - loved it.
We have now upgraded to a barefoot cheyenne - love it!

Spotsrock

Visit site
Hate the endurance types but I have a treeless jumping saddle. No difference except suits horse better as she's recovering from a slipped disc. Oh and my back doesn't hurt after a full day show which it used to. I did have to have some modification made to mine though. Bigger knee rolls and the cantle lowered. There just isn't the choice. I bought a cheap endurance and had it totally re built with jumping knee rolls and flat seat for my new one as far cheaper than a treeless jumping, just till I can buy a good make. Back lady is happy with it.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I loved mine. I bought one about 5/6yrs ago, it was fairly expensive but I loved it. They are slightly odd at first, it is a totally different seat and you do have to adjust but I did love mine and would get another in an instant.

BeesKnees

Visit site
No they don't 'fit anything'. If your horse is at all high withered you will struggle to get good enough clearance and may need to do a bit of shimming. They can also slip sideways. Some people find they get pain around the hips when riding in them, as they can promote a very open hip position.

On the other hand many people love them and so do their horses! As always with saddles it totally depends on the individual horse and saddle combo.

emmaln

Visit site
Like all saddles different treeless saddles suit different horses and the one thing I have learnt is that there is no point in buyIng a cheap one!!

I have a heather moffett dressage and use it on my 16.1 tb my 15hh welsh youngster and my brothers trad cob albeit all with different pads!

I went treeless as my ageing tb was having back trouble and after treatment the only way she seemed comfortable was when ridden bareback, after trying a friends treeless I decided to go for it and bought the dream team saddle which she loved and although it doesn't look totally like a normal saddle her competing days were over anyway!

When I backed my welshy I started with a normal leather treed saddle but found she was changing shape so often it was costing me a fortune but as we compete I needed a saddle that looked "normal" so when my friend bought her heather moffett I tried it and that was that! It never slips and she has room for her massive shoulders!! And it looks normal!!

I have never ridden in a solutions treeless but would love to as they seem to be very good quality, good luck in whatever you choose but I can't see me going back now, I am an equine sports massage therapist and so back health is extremely important to me but personally found keeping a treed saddle fitting perfectly too much to keep up with especially with an ever changing youngster and an ageing tb!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I have a treeless dressage saddle for mine as I was fed up trying to find a treed saddle that I could afford :eek:

I use it for slow hacks (as more comfortable than my jumping saddle for lots of walk work) and I like it. In mine (a Barefoot London) your hips are wider, so wouldn't suit everyone, but I can sit really well in it. I know someone who events up to Intermediate in her solutions saddle, so can't be all bad! They are more liable to slip I think, but just get as long a girth as possible (so its high up both sides) and do it up tight!

I tried mine out from bettersaddles.com and they were really helpful. I had the chiro fit it for me, and then bought it - he was the one the recommended the saddle in the first place :)

Pedantic

Visit site
Enjoyed our Cheyanne treeless for about 18 months, downside is not good for jumping, stopped using temporarily due to a sore on his withers, not saddle related, so used his GP for a short while and got jumping, Solutions are fitted for rider so not a lot of good buying one made for someone else, but should fit any horse, I have had a Thorogood Jill Thomas endurance saddle for last 4 years which I find good for all round activities and comfy, has bigger flatter panels so comfier for horse as well.

cptrayes

Visit site
I got sick of endless shim changes.
They slipped when I mounted using the stirrup in spite of non slip pads.
One of my horses got white hairs under the stirrup bars.
The other developed "holes" behind the wither.
I developed a pronounced forward tilt which disappeared a week after being back in treed saddles.
I would not have dreamed of jumping more than a 2ft fence in one, they are too unstable.
I used a very expensive brand which is still on sale.

I would never buy one again and now I only use WOW saddles, which have the same freedom for the horse in the shoulders due to the carbon fibre flexible joint in the tree.