Treeless saddles...........why?

Elsbells

Visit site
As title really and please excuse my ignorance but could someone tell me the advantages of using a treeless saddle. I ask as there have been a few for sale lately and it's raised my curiosity.

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
My horse moves a million times better in hers, freer through the back and shoulder. Her other wasn't terrible either. Friends horse is the same. Also very comfy for the rider. Don't touch the cheap brands with a bargepole though!

Mine is in a HM FlexEE, friend has trialled a HM Vogue and is going to try my FlexEE as well. They're much easier to fit than a treed saddle and can go on several different horses, just adjust the shims. I won't be going back to treed!

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
One theory is that as the tree on a treed saddle is rigid, it cannot move in harmony with the horses back. Agree with PIANF - we never knew that our pony could do medium trot ?? until we got a Barefoot saddle, he really does move much more freely in it.

springtime1331

Visit site
I think good quality treeless saddles have their place. I've had success with both the Heather Moffatt ones and more recently the solution saddle. IMO, they are most successful when used by lighter, well balanced riders. Purely my opinion, but I've always felt that if the rider is fairly heavy than it must create more pressure points. Also, without the tree, they are more prone to lateral slippage so do rely on balanced riding. Good saddle pads are a must, I've always used a shimming pad and a mattes platinum sheepskin.

PollyP99

Visit site
As above, my shape shifting section d with big shoulders is a different ride in a treeless sadle. I now have two, a solution for jumping and dressage and a trekker for distance hacking, love them both and so does my mare.

I was really surprised when jumping this week as aside from The fitting issue (which was the main reason for going treeless) I found I could go with my mare much more in the solution jumping even went she went flying miles over a tiny jump, her favourite quirk!

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Springtime - mine has great lateral stability, horse has dramatic 'jump sideways 4ft from gallop' spooks and it stays put :) it's a case of right girth and shimming. Will be breaking the youngster in it so sincerely hope it continues to stay put for that!

springtime1331

Visit site
Fingers crossed for you! Which saddle do you have? You're spot on about the girth - I always use a professionals choice one which seems to really help. The only time I had a major slip was when riding away a youngster in a Heather Moffatt one with a brand new sheepskin girth cover. It didn't help that he was fairly barrel shaped.

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
One of the older FlexEEs with the velcro panels and no gullet bar. Oops with the sheepskin girth! I shall remember that for baby horse in a couple of years time :p

Stormynight

Visit site
As everybody else, really. Hugely helpful on horses who are difficult to fit, or who change shape dramatically (particularly youngsters). I have a Solution that has been used on 7 different horses - occasionally we need to shim it, but there is no worry over pressure points or anything pinching. Mine is laterally stable enough to be able to mount a 16hh Shire x from the ground without overtightening the girth (and I'm a short-arse...), and I've never had it slip when riding. Even when jumping.

You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming back to a treed saddle nowadays :D

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Springtime - mine has great lateral stability, horse has dramatic 'jump sideways 4ft from gallop' spooks and it stays put :) it's a case of right girth and shimming. Will be breaking the youngster in it so sincerely hope it continues to stay put for that!

Ours stays put too - pony is 13.3 and is a barrel, and rider is 5ft 6, and he does the most awesome spook I've seen and often too) , and the saddle stays put.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I use a Heather moffet for my difficult to fit cob. Tried for years to fit a treed, think all the bad fittings nearly ended his life let alone his career. We both love the Heather Moffett it is comfortable for us both and just as supportive as a treed saddle.

cbmcts

Visit site
Not only all the points above about difficult to fit horses, I find that they are better for my back too.
I have an old slipped disk problem and after 30-40 minutes in a treed saddle I'm in pain and start to drop a hip to counter act it. Treeless seems to stop the pain starting and as a bonus, you soon notice if you're not sitting square :)

THe old style treeless could cause extra pressure points as they were nearly flat on the spine and I wasn't too keen on the way they hung the stirrup bars but the newer ones appear to have solved those problems. I can't imagine going back to the nightmare of trying to fit saddles to witherless, barrel shaped horses with shoulders - my Welsh D had countless saddles fitted as a 4 & 5 year old - some of them only fitted for 2 weeks!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I have a treeless because I wanted a western saddle but western saddle fitters are rare as hen's teeth around here. It is also much lighter than a traditional western saddle. The horse loves it and moves much more freely. Not a cheap option though! My saddle pad alone cost over £200.