Treeless Saddles

AlexThe Arab

Visit site
Does anyone have any experiences to share, good or bad of riding in a treeless saddle ?

Need to find something to fit a Shire X with a very wide flat back (as in table top shape
crazy.gif
) Have just discovered that there is now a local stockist of "The Saddle Company" saddles, which seem to be highly recommended on the forums, so will go and have a look at them, but also like the sound of this
http://www.horseandharmony.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_64&products_id
Thanks
Sara

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I rode a friends horse and my own horse occasionally in a Torsion saddle, they are lovely for walking, trot and canter but thats it, they are awful to jump in and are a sod to school on the flat in. If your a happy hacker I can highly reccomend one
laugh.gif

joey1999

Visit site
I have an equine masseur to do my horses every 4 weeks and she said she did a horse recently that had a treeless saddle and it's back was really sore! She said the person had bought the saddle and hadn't bought the special numnah that you MUST buy with it. I think the saddle was about £600 and the numnah about £80.

SillyMare

Visit site
Yes, tried a Humphries and Swaine one recently that YO has on trial.

I was very pleasantly surprised.

It looked like a 'normal' saddle (had been expecting one of those funny looking over-grown pony pad things) - you would have to look closely to notice it was different.

Felt slightly odd at first - strange sensation - far more feel for his back moving than in a normal saddle. Very comfortable though and the feel was good once I got used to it.

Happytohack

Visit site
I have a 17.3 heavy draught horse and ride him in a Torsion treeless saddle. It is brilliant for horses with wide backs. I have ridden treeless for 8 years now (also have an Icelandic) and hate riding in a conventional treed saddle. However, I never defy gravity (far too old and sensible)! It is very, very important to use the correct saddle pad with a treeless saddle. You can hire a Torsion for a few days to try one.

Vey

Visit site
I've been treeless for five years, and had no problems - and I certainly school in mine. Actually I don't quite know why that would be difficult - unless you felt you needed a waist? They are wonderful for flat-backed horses, horses with big shoulders, and horses who change shape (eg youngsters coming into work) - but riders who are heavy need to look at weight limits (different for different saddles). Nothing I have ridden in a treeless has ever had a problem, and I would find it very hard to go back to riding in a treed saddle because of the lack of feedback from the movement of the horse - you really feel the horse move in a treeless. It is an advantage to choose a brand that offers differedt shaped inserts for the front of the saddle if you are going for the kind which have formers (as opposed to the memory foam kind)

Folara

Visit site
I have a Heather Moffett SBS Flexion Treeless (no longer made now but replaced with the fheonix). I moved to a treeless when I had constant problems with my young horses back getting very very sore - even with a specially made to measure saddle. I would now not ride in anything but a HM saddle.

General has just started competing at Elem level pretty successfully (65%ish) and jumps up to 3'6" although he is not pushed as he is only just turned 6.

I also hack him in it and I am a larger lady with a dodgy hip and a dodgy back - I love it. I feel very safe especially as Gen can be very sharp and does a great spin, buck, run action when he sees things he doesnt like.

I say try to get one on trial for a while and see - they are odd to start with but once you get used to them - ahhh comfort!!!

Zebedee

Visit site
I've got one of these,(see link below) & my shire cross is ridden in one & has just started competing at 1.10m. (Not with me on board I hasten to add!) The pics in the web-site aren't the most inspiring but its definately worth you giving it a try.

http://www.hoobeesaddles.co.uk/

_daisy_

Visit site
weve just bought a Torsion for one of our ponies. Its absolutley great. Dont know about jumping as mum doesnt jump and pony doesnt jump any longer. Mum felt really secure in hers as soon as she sat in it rather than her conventional saddle.

TLL67

Visit site
Hi,
I ride in a treeless saddle, a Barefoot Cheyenne and I love it, we hack, school and pop little jumps in it.
I got mine from Better Saddles, complete kit for £450, was well worth it.

And yes its most important that you use the correct pad/pads underneath the saddle.
grin.gif

AlexThe Arab

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and advice - have looked online at all the various makes and models mentioned, there's a lot more choice than I first thought
smile.gif
For my budget and the fact that I'm just a happy hacker (can't justify speding £££'s on tack) the Barefoot Cheyenne package seems the most suitable.
Thanks once again
Sara

Scunny

www.ponydaze.com
I've been wondering if the Barefoot London would be suitable for my TB mare as she has *very* prominent withers and a slight roach to her back?

I've not been able to ride her lately as she kicked me in the small of my back while threatening our welshie and I've been laid up
frown.gif
but she has a Thorowgood TB fitting selecta which I'm sure is getting too tight for her as she's filled out a lot (rescued last year) and have been racking my brains trying to think what to go for.

I've got to save up first though lol.

TLL67

Visit site
Re prominent withers, you would be better off getting someone to come out with some treeless saddles for you to try as most aren't recommend for high/prominent withers, but i know many people use them on Tb's with no problems, again you would just have to make sure that you use the right pads underneath.

Scunny

www.ponydaze.com
That's a good idea thanks, as I say I've got to save up first and as I'm unable to ride at the moment she's enjoying a rest lol.

It was the withers that I was worried about, her thorowgood is very well cut back to accomadate them but a friend rode her the other week and said that what I thought was my riding was actually the sadddle in trot coming up and banging the rider in the bum, she thinks that the saddle (narrow fit) is now too tight but that the roach on her back is making things worse, which is what made me think of going treeless.

I have just returned to riding after 13 years of M.E./CFS and have little muscle tone so thought it was my balance and getting very fustrated with myself.