Trekking in Iceland

Capriole

Visit site
ooooh, lucky!

i d love to go, my OH has trkked in iceland and says it was amazing! (he even wants an icelandic horse (he's 6ft + and was in the household cav lol )

flohelf

Visit site
How exciting ! Have a friend who did it; said it was amazing and fell in love with icelandic horses... Much too hot for them out here: the poor things would die
frown.gif

Have fun and tell us all about it when you get back (don't forget to take some warm clothes...)
wink.gif

Capriole

Visit site
i know! he told me he could have walked if hed had his feet free lol

he thinks theyre amazing though, and they do carry anyone it seems. he says theyre really tough.

appylass

Visit site
I went to Iceland years ago on a camping trip (no trekking though, sadly). It's the most wonderful place to visit, breathtakingly beautiful. I found the daytime temperatures pretty much like a nice summer here, definitely t-shirt weather, but the nights were FREEZING so would recommend warm bedtime clothing! The other notable fact was the huge cost of alcohol so we stocked up duty free on the way there. It was the best holiday ever and I hope you have a wonderful time.

spider

community.webshots.com
Everything is about 3 times the price over there so I would take what you need with you and not plan on too many meals out! Fish and chips is about cheapest at £8 per head!

Capriole

Visit site
yes, or have it cleaned - read this

FAQs

* Are contagious animal diseases endemic in Iceland?
* Can I bring live animals with me to Iceland?
* Can I bring animal products with me to Iceland?
* Can I bring used riding gear with me to Iceland? - Disinfection of used riding boots etc.
* Can I bring used sport fishing equipment with me to Iceland? - Disinfection of used sport fishing equipment
* Recommendations to travellers on cruise ships

Are contagious animal diseases endemic in Iceland?
Due to their geographic isolation, Icelandic animals have been protected for many of the contagious diseases that are known in other countries. They are therefore not vaccinated and might be very vulnerable for new diseases. We ask for you cooperation to keep on protecting them and to preserve the health of Icelandic animals.

Can I bring live animals with me to Iceland?
In accordance with Act no. 54/1900 regarding the importation of animals, it is unlawful to import into Iceland any type of living animal, domestic or wild, nor their genetic material. The Icelandic Ministry of Agriculture, however, is authorized, on receipt of the recommendation of the Chief Veterinary Officer, to grant an exception to this provision of the law, on condition that the terms for granting such an importation are strictly complied with.

More information about importing pets to Iceland can be found here

Can I bring animal products with me to Iceland?
It is prohibited by law to bring to the country raw meat and other animal products that might carry infectious agents.

Can I bring used riding equipment with me to Iceland?
Horsemen and others, who are in contact with horses or other animals, should take utmost care to prevent the spreading of infectious diseases during their travels in Iceland and they are reminded of the current rules about import of used riding tack and riding clothes.

It is prohibited to bring used riding equipment to Iceland. Used riding clothes must be thoroughly cleaned and riding boots must be disinfected. Clothes and boots that have been in contact with animals abroad must be treated the same way. Clothes that cannot be thoroughly cleaned or disinfected (leather gloves, wax coats, helmets etc.) may not be brought to Iceland. A certificate of disinfection, issued by an official veterinary authority will be accepted, if presented on entering Iceland. If riding boots have not been disinfected before arrival, the company "Fagræsting sf." operates a fast disinfection service at Keflavik International Airport.

A certificate of disinfection, issued by an official veterinary authority will be accepted, if presented on entering Iceland. If riding boots have not been disinfected before arrival, the company "Fagræsting sf." operates a fast disinfection service at Keflavik International Airport.

Approved disinfectants (the boots must be soaked in the solution for 10 minutes):

Virkon 1%
Caustic soda (0,2%)
Crystalline soda (5%)
Setax (0,3%)
Korsolin (3%)
Formalin (2%)
Phenol solution (2-5%)

Icelanders having visitors from abroad should check that the above conditions have been met, before their guests come in contact with animals in Iceland.

HeatherAda

Visit site
all but 2 of my meals are included - quite a good package really, so should be able to keep spends to a minimum

no used leather goods allowed so i'm having my rubber boots sterilised and you're not allowed to take your own hat unfortunately. not sure how much the vets are going to charge me for sterilising though.

Jessica - you are very handy! thanks for all of the above.

HeatherAda

Visit site
the rules say you can't take hats - this is because they can't be throughly cleaned otherwise I would defo take my own.

they are so strict because they have no foot and mouth, rabies etc and want to keep it that way.

HeatherAda

Visit site
not sure to be honest. possibly. have to re check the info they have sent to me.
only worry i'd have would be to have it confiscated at the airport.
i'll see what I can find out.

Capriole

Visit site
if they are wanting to confiscate it at the airport you could always post it back to yourself at home