Trekking in NZ- Wellington or Queenstown- recommendations?

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
Hello!

The OH and I have booked our honeymoon to New Zealand for March/ April 2018.

I would quite like to go riding somewhere so I am after recommendations of where to go.

He would like to go to The Weta Caves as he loves LOTR but I am not really that fussed about it (there is a lot of LOTR things planned lol) so whilst its our honeymoon I thought we could maybe go our separate ways for a few hours and I could find somewhere to go riding.

The two nearby that I have seen are Ohariu Valley Equestrian Centre and Wellington Indoor Riding School. Any one have any experience of these?

Alternatively we initially fly into Queenstown and have a week there. We have some things planned but could maybe squeeze on in there as an alternative. Itinerary is not finalised so other ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

joosie

Visit site
Queenstown area is just stunning. I'd recommend Ben Lomond Horse Treks which is about 10mins by car from QT on the Glenorchy road. They do pickups if you don't have a car. If you can make time for a longer ride then High Country Horses at Glenorchy is well worth a visit. A lot of Lord of the Rings scenes were filmed in that area so maybe you could persuade OH to join you!

There's a few companies that do LOTR geek tours from Wellington. The one I did included a tour of the Weta Workshop (the Cave is just the gift shop) which personally I think you'd enjoy even if you're not a fan because the work they do there is fascinating and it's not just about LOTR. Also try to make time to see Peter Jackson's Great War Exhibition, I've never seen anything like it.

Last edited: