Tricky horse and turn out seperation anxiety.

BOWS28

Visit site
So please be prepared for a very long paragraph from a very desperate owner!!
I am the proud owner of a 20 year old girly. Not that you'd believe she's a day over 5!!
My current yard has no winter turnout at all so the horses are standing in all day and all night other than when they are being worked.
Being an older mare she struggles with arthritis so when standing in, she tends to seize up and struggles to stay sound. Not only that, she can be quite unpredictable when riding during the winter months. Understandably, as I'm sure I'd be the same if I had to look at the same 4 walls day in day out.
To resolve this however, I am looking into moving yards that has all year turnout and livery is a fraction of the price compared to what I'm paying now, for realistically a stable and a field I can only use not even half the year. Although this sounds like the perfect solution doesn't it??? Not so simple unfortunately..... My mare currently gets turnout out with a mare and they are inseparable. Despite my huge efforts to 'Wean' them if you like, she will not go out without her unless you like your horse galloping up and down the fence line calling and calling. She is also very picky as to who she makes friends with, and very few horses have got her approval.
So this is where my issue starts... I need her out all year round which is what the new yard offers, but its whether or not she will agree to this without a buddy. As a rule it is individual turnout up there, and without moving there first, I cant guarantee I can make arrangements to pair up with someone! Hence I am looking for some advice, do I persist and see if she'll work out for herself that nothing bad is going to happen if she is out is out by herself, or do I scrap the idea all together and we both suffer throughout the winter?
I'm wondering if there are any of you out there that have been in similar positions and have found any ways I can help her to settle! For her own sanity, my own and the well being of my horse I know this will be the right decision, if we can over come the out of control separation anxiety!!
Thank you in advance for any help and suggestions!!

be positive

Visit site
Neither yard sound suitable, being in all winter will have been adding to her anxiety and neediness when she is out and in my view it is unacceptable to offer no winter turnout at all, some restriction is fair enough. The new yard sounds equally unsuitable, she probably will settle with new companions but it does not offer company and there may be no one willing to share or work with you to help her settle.

I would keep looking it is nearly the end of winter and by the time you have given notice it probably makes more sense to look for the right place in time for next winter, she would be much better in a group turnout situation so she always has company even if they are not her favoured friend, I have 1 here who gets very anxious and he latched on to another gelding getting so stressed if the other one went anywhere, the solution to move him so he is out with a different horse who he has settled with but not so dependent on, they may have preferences but up to a point they have to get on with what they are offered, as long as the companions are nice then they have to accept that is what they have which is why group turnout is so much better for most horses.

BOWS28

Visit site
I do understand what you are saying. and appreciate your response!! Although, surely winter turnout surrounded by horses in neighbouring fields is better than nothing? We wont be having turnout at the current yard for another month or two as the weather has been poor and the ground is like bog... Turnout isn't the only problem at this current yard, more problems are unfolding by the day, hence I am so keen to get out! Perhaps I should have explained that too!