Tricky situation, can you advise?

rockingrolling

New User
Visit site
Hi peeps
smile.gif

I have a situation and wondered if some of you could advise.
Had ahorse on livery for over a year, owner rarely came to see horse, (working livery).
had a good relationship with owner, contract in place.
A while ago, said owner came along and said horse was going to be sold, it was a bit of a shock but no hard feelings. Owner needed money and owner had found nice home. Wanted to take him in a week!
Next I know, a different contract is produced, not a copy of the original (which i had at yard)
Owner had changed contract with different details, said we had wrong one. Ownership of said horse belonged to parents. and removal of horse was 2 weeks. Eventually we came to agree two weeks even though contract (original) stated 4, as I didn't want to start a war.

Anyway, .Some time later I had a letter, most of it nasty, saying a couple of items were missing. I had returned all that horse came with.
Letter threatening to take the case to papers and various bodies, as I had changed contract etc. Left a nasty taste in mouth
frown.gif

Replied nicely, stating that as I had orignal contract it was clear that they had changed to suit them, and the items had been returned.
Have recieved another letter stating the contract I had was falsified and sort it out.

(I am not wanting to go into details of items and stuff as posting under different guise, and word gets around, don't want to compromise myself)
Ok, thing is, owner claiming for items. They have changed contract to suit them and it is not the original. trying to pull a fast one.

I am getting cross now, I am honest and it just peeves me that someone can try and rip me off. I should maybe charge for livery for the year horse was with me if contract wasn't valid, plus farriers bills feed etc. Why go the extent of changing contract with different opwnership details just to get a few measly quid out of me? It has all turned quite nasty, although the real owner has always been nice and was happy with the horse and the way he was looked after and used.

You lot do know me btw and I'll be happy to reveal by pm so you know I am kosher.

Just need advice on how to handle? If as I am being told, contract was invalid am I within my rights to charge for the livery/looking after horse for a year+?
Should I jsut say, ok you win, here's money to replace said items (which I believe they have anyway) even though it would be of great hardship to the business?

Veyr depressed now
frown.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Was the first contract signed by a witness??
Even if not, I would fight her all the way. Her word against yours.
Do you have other liveries/nice farrier/vet for character witnesses? Has anyone else ever had a similar contract with you?

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Did you sign either of these contracts?
If the first contract between you and said owner one has been the basis of the livery for a year then that is the one that applies, I would think. It has dates on and should have signitures of agreement on.
If they want to stick to their guns on this second contract, then say you were liverying the horse under the first owner contract, and as this is not the case now then a full years costs would now apply to the second owner, who you did not have a contract or agreement with.
See what they have to say about that.
regards
Dawn

Irishcobs

Visit site
Have you signed the new contract? If so I don't think there is a lot you can do. Can you prove the items were given back?
As others have said did a witness sign the orginal contract?

rockingrolling

New User
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Was the first contract signed by a witness??
Even if not, I would fight her all the way. Her word against yours.
Do you have other liveries/nice farrier/vet for character witnesses? Has anyone else ever had a similar contract with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, was signed by witness in presence of original owner. And if front of staff.

No longer do liveries due to unpleasantness and stuff. Had a few but they have gone now (real contracts expired! lol, now just have my horses)
Have had though without problems and have good reputation.
never thought they would be like this
frown.gif

excuse crappy spelling, not having good keyboard day!

annaellie

Visit site
You need to take legal advice asap have all documents ie contract and you should be guided from there but good luck

Tufty

Visit site
Depending on the value of the items that they claim are missing then I would take a view - how much are you talking about in money terms here, and is it worth getting caught up with, sometimes life is just to short to get involved with petty people and get yourself all worked up and worried

hairycob

Visit site
You could try the "I have a meeting with my Solicitor to discuss this next week" bluff. You can often get an initial meeting with a Solicitor for free. Personally have never had decent advice from CAB. Always get "you need to speak to a Solicitor" even when I was being made redundant & I wanted to know what the statutory entitlement was.
If you decide to pay up to get them off your back you may find they turn round & tell everyone it's proof they were right - happened to a friend of mine.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
They can't have your signature on the one they claim is official, surely? So long as original was signed by you both and witnessed, I think you are OK. They'll have to prove the 'updated' one is genuine.

Ever such good luck with this