Tricky Situation - What would you do?

Syrah

Visit site
Hi Everyone

I've got a bit of a dilema.

Molly is turned out with 3 other mares, 1 horse and 2 ponies. Up until her mud rash, I couldn't catch her and bring her in alone due to the other horse. If I tried on my own I risked getting attacked by this other horse, so there needs to be at least two other people - me to catch Molly, 1 to herd off the other horse and one to do the gate so we could make a quick get away!

The last couple of weeks, I've had a part of the field sectioned off so Molly can't stand in the mudiest part. It's been bliss. Molly was a bit miffed at first because she couldn't get to her friends, but she's settled really well after that (bribery with food works every time). It's been soooo easy to bring Molly in when she's ready for in.

Also, the other owner leaves hers out 24/7 in summer and Molly is not a 24/7 horse, she likes her stable and is very spooky in the dark.

So, how do I do this tactfully. I really don't want to offend the owner of the other mares, she is a lovely person and so helpful bringing Molly in so she wasn't left out on her own if she brought hers in early (Molly is a wimp
grin.gif
)

I've got a bit of time before I need to tackle this. The mares will be in the field they are in until March/April then we move to another paddock to allow that one to recover.

I suppose Molly and I are well and truly matched - I'm a wimp too
smirk.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Sorry if I've misread...what are you asking exactly? How to tell the owner of the other mare that your horse won't be turned out 24/7, or how to tell her you want to keep Molly in a section on her own so you can catch her?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I thought that's what you meant!
blush.gif

Just take the YO to one side and ask her nicely - our YO is quite reasonable and ig there's good reason she would agree. Could you tell her that she's too much of a good doer to be in the big field maybe, so you want to restrict her grazing (sorry, don't know what sort of horse she is).

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Just tell her that the other horse scares u - they can't compain about that and it's not like ur being nasty or anything. After all - if u really are scared then it could make the situation worse and it could end in an accident...