Tried out an Albion dressage saddle

Peanot

Visit site
Well today, I picked up 2 Albions from local tack shop, a n/m or m/n GP legend 5000, and a m/w dressage K2. The legend was too narrow obviously, (they thought it was med and so gave me to try) and the mw fit quite nice. I wasn`t going to buy the legend but wanted to try it for size.
The K2 seemed to sit level and looked a nice fit, with the panels level and a nice even tunnel along her spine. When I sat on it, it seemed to be slightly tipping me forward. But my last saddle was a little narrow for her and so I must`ve been sitting back a little, so probably got used to that feeling. But the saddle itself felt lovely especially in sitting trot. It is the first time that I`ve ridden her since having her back done last week and at the start she felt so nice and then after about 20 mins started to hollow a little, but this isn`t unusual either. Don`t know whether it was the saddle or I was asking her for more!
confused.gif

Does anyone else find that they feel slightly tilting forward in a dressage saddle?
I have ridden somewhere that the SL`s are more comfy. Is this correct?
Thanks

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
My husband had this problem with two of his saddles and the reason you feel like that is they aren't sitting as they should.
Get someone to look at you on the saddle and if the pommel and cantle aren't exactly the same the fit is wrong at the front, perhaps too wide for the horse.
If you are spending all that money why not look at a Sue Carson saddle, they can be infinitely adjusted until the fit is perfect for horse and rider.
I really don't think you should feel as if it's tipping you forwards, is the saddler going to come and check it for you?

Peanot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Get someone to look at you on the saddle and if the pommel and cantle aren't exactly the same the fit is wrong at the front, perhaps too wide for the horse.

When you look at the saddle sat on her back, the cantle is just slightly higher than the pommel, and I have just been looking at a pick of an Albion on Carl Hesters horse and comparing it to a photo I took of the saddle earlier and they sit the same!

I really don't think you should feel as if it's tipping you forwards, is the saddler going to come and check it for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I `borrowed` it to try from the local tack shop, but I took it back afterwards as I am booked in a week on Saturday to go to a saddlers to have one fitted. I am just too much of a chicken to buy one without having it fitted.

Thank you for your response. It`s so confusing, I hate being in this position.
confused.gif

Peanot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i have two albions for sale...says it all really a Medium Legend 5000 and wide K2

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard all good things about the newer ones. I suppose some horses they fit and some horses they don`t!
Why are you selling yours? If you don`t mind me being nosey.

RachelMcTimoney

www.mctimoney4animals.com
The legend was really good but turned out it was too narrow, so saddler fitted new saddle (K2) which was never right from the beginning, kept slipping to one side, saddler been back a number of times, gave me a felt pad to put under one side, my horses back became really sore and took months to get right, all along it weas insisted it was not the saddle, i didn't believe it so stopped using it after several months and a lot of money on back treatment my horse was fine! In our local riding club there were about 5-10 albion dressage saddles on notice board ...says it all!