trimming feathers

Equinus

Visit site
I have done a search on this subject but can't see exactly what I want to know, so please bear with me!:)

I have a hunter type who has some feather in Summer....and lots at the moment. He doesn't grow a thick coat and is not clipped, but does look a bit odd. After a lot of thought I decided to clip them off.

Started on the fronts and he is very good, obviously been clipped before. I've done a lot of clipping in the past, but on hunters and thoroughbreds who didn't have their legs clipped. I have always taken the light feathers off with comb and scissors, which I can't do now, especially as himself is not inclined to stand still with legs in a well placed position!

So here is the problem....Me! It is a good few years since I clipped, and now I find that I have not got the dexterity to cope with all the angles and small places with full sized clippers (they are Heiniger Progress, so light and easy) so have made an untidy job, though not a disaster.

I would like some recommendations for trimmers which will cut through feather but are easy for my arthritic hands to maneuver. Bearing in mind I already have my big clippers, I don't really want to pay £300 for them!

Thanks for your time.

debsg

Visit site
I use Wahl rechargeable dog trimmers, were about £60, cordless and quiet. I have a chunky cob with lots of feather, which I take off in Spring. I get the worst off with the big clippers, then all the fiddly bits with the Wahls, and I use the different length attachments to blend the hair into the knee so that you can't see the join!

rockysmum

Visit site
I know exactly what you mean. I have to fully clip our cobs every time we show and hate the leg bit, it kills my back and takes ages to get into the ticky bits.

Unless your horse has really soft feather I dont know of any trimmers which will do the job. Feather hair is tough and can be a struggle for some of the bigger clippers.

Would someone on your yard do it for you for a small fee or some help in return.

Equinus

Visit site
Thanks for your answers. His feather is not as coarse as some. We don't know his breeding but he has a smallish head so must be some warm blood somewhere.

Any more opinions?

Blitzen

Visit site
My mare has really thick wiry feather, which I clip with my Liveryman Element rechargable trimmers. Honestly, they are amazing! They are small and cordless, so really easy to handle, one charge lasts about an hours clipping, they're quiet, low vibration, and they only cost £70 from my local tack shop.
Highly highly recommend them!

Lil Ferg

Visit site
Another vote for the Liveryman element, I have had mine for about 8 years and still going strong (have had a few new blades). I take off most of the hair with fetlock shears and finish off with the clippers, they do a great job.