Trims - Farriers

S_N

Visit site
Now, my Farrier is absolutely EXCELLENT!! Always turns up when he says he will and if he can't/needs to alter the time/date etc.... gives plenty of notice, I know I am very lucky to have him, esp. after reading about some of the problems that peeps have on here. However, due to HIM and his team, suffering from clients not showing up, not paying etc..... Prices have taken a hike! A single trim is now £25 - 2 months ago it was £15!!! 2 trims are £20 and multiple are £18. I'm not complaining, I value his service far too much for that, but I am shocked that the price has gone up so much and also the reasons for it! I mean this chap and his partner are widely sought after for their trade, When I first got B he wouldn't take on just one horse (even though he knew her and had been doing her before) at a new yard - even though that yard was a stones throw from his forge, as he was just too busy and one horse on a yard was not worth it to him - a man in demand!!! So why do people mess him around - GRRRRRRRR!!!! I forgot to ask how much a set is now, but it used to be £55, I think now that a single set is £67.50, but I could be wrong.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It was only 12yrs ago that I was paying £17 for a full set........

[/ QUOTE ]

It was probably about that time that I thought £25 for a full set was expensive
blush.gif

MillionDollar

Visit site
I know i can't believe how much i spend on the horses feet. But i don't spend as much as some people one of my friends has her horses feet done every 4 weeks at £80!!!!!
blush.gif

My farrier charges £16 for trim and £55 for a set of shoes. He is excellent always on time and always comes the next day.

I also HAVE to have another farrier for my horse on loan, hes not great, he doesn't hot shoe and charges £68!!!

ihatework

Visit site
Mines £10 a pair to trim.

Really good farriers are like golddust, but treat them well and they will look normally go out of their way to look after you. Called mine up last thursday and needed him to come specifically on the saturday, and bless him he fitted me in.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
My last shitttie farrier charged me £30 for a trim for my pony! He always had a 3month waiting list so if you did have to rearage your poor ned went months! Its was getting stupid not to mention the fact he made mine lame and other lame by rushing and hacking away!

Needless to say i changed much better farrier now atm its £15 and could ring and get him out that day if you had a show and a uncomplete shoe!! I have a feeling this will change as already hes very popular!

To be honest no feet no horse i would pay £30 if the farrier was worth it!

It would drive me mad if it was due to people not showing that drove the price up... does he not have a fine for missing the op?

Ginn

Visit site
So when I say my farrier is excellent AND only charges £12 for a trim Im guessing you'll be a little jealous
tongue.gif

Patches

Visit site
...and it was only two years ago that I was paying £40 for a set of shoes. Now I pay £60 for Patches rolled toes front and back with road nails.

Tweenie has fronts and they are £32.50 and my trims are £15.

I agree with Ben and Jerry's though. Excellent farriers truly are like Gold dust and you have to have a decent rapport with them.

I always give my farrier a tip, usually a fiver and buy him a half decent Christmas present. Keeping him sweet has always meant he goes out of his way for me. Often I get a trim for free!

Capriole

Visit site
my old farrier years ago was fantastic, always turned up and did a really nice job, but he was struck off due to a complaint from an owner he'd given their horse a slap (never saw him do anything like that).

evsj

Visit site
I have a fab farrier too but he still charges 20 quid for a trim - it took him just 5 mins to do last week and I said that must have been the easiest 20 he'd earned! He charges 60 for a full set with stud holes all round and he is reliable (and cheerful!)
Anyway, we can all blame the Chinese because according to my previous farrier, they are buying up all the worlds steel and helping to push the prices up - which is passed onto us. But don't old shoes get melted back down to make more shoes??

Tempi

Visit site
Mine charges £70 + VAT for a set of new shoes and £60 + VAT if the old ones will go another month.

dont know about trimming as both mine have a full set of shoes on each.

Nailed

Visit site
Oh come on.. 25 quid for a trim.. thats not that bad.
Rate have gone up.. insurence has gone up therefor priceshave goneup.
A riding lesson in 1999 was £6 to 8 now its £15 to 20...
Really.. farriers need to live too
lou x

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, we can all blame the Chinese because according to my previous farrier, they are buying up all the worlds steel and helping to push the prices up - which is passed onto us. But don't old shoes get melted back down to make more shoes??

[/ QUOTE ] To be honest, the cost of shoes is a small factor in the price of shoeing. The biggest cost in OH's business is running the van - if the price of diesel goes up then that will probably make more impact on the prices than the cost of steel!

GinaGem

Visit site
My farrier is great too. His set price for a trim is either £15 or £18 (can't remeber as haven't paid full price for ages). He usually does a trim for free or for £10 depending on how much he has to do. He does charge £63ish for a full set but he's worth it and he will re-fit shoes if he can which costs me less.

A little while ago Gem had stood on her own foot and it cracked, as it grew down a chunk came off the bottom. I called the farrier that evening and he came up at 7am the next morning and spent half an hour refitting the shoe and putting horse glue on to stop it getting worse. He exchanged this work for a cup of tea and some biscuits!

He's always on time, texts me a couple of days before coming to confirm the time and is always nice to both me and the horses.

amandaco2

Visit site
i get charged #30 for my mare and foal to be trimmed.which is alot as their feet dont look very good to me, am on look out for a good farrier-esp as babies feet must be kept is the best shape possible
last time i had shoes on any of mine (4 years ago) it was 55 per normal set.

KrashnBurn

Visit site
I pay £20 to have my boy trimmed all round. IMHO that is about average.
My last farrier was just awful, never turning up etc etc and had the cheek to charge me £30 to trim!
mad.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Chancer is £20 for a trim and Cairo is £25 - but he has rather large feet and is a heavy horse. My farrier also trims my ergots at the same time and is happy to do them if I am not there and get them in and out of the stable.

sharni

Visit site
mine charges £45 for shoes and £5 for a trim. but he takes AGES to do both. shame really, hes otherwise very good.horses get fed up and hs quite nervy round them. mine also live out 24/7 and he needs them in a stable to trim/shoe which is a problem as they dont settle. hes too nervous to do them outside when they stand quietly......... wierd really. i only stay with him coz hes cheap.

Scarlett

Visit site
my farrier normally charges £20 for a trim but I get charged £5-10 as mine usually just need a wee rasp rather than a proper trim... full set is £55.

He's the best farrier I have found - wouldnt let anyone else near mine now.....

vivhewe

Visit site
Just had mine today, he's £15 for a trim. Not sure how much shoes are, he was £40 but I think he put his prices up, but I remember him telling me he'd give me money off when I got Danny so I will remind him when I need D shod
wink.gif

Insults are free!
grin.gif

RobinHood

Visit site
Mine charges £55 for a set with wth road nails/stud holes because we always pay him in cash. He doesn't charge us for a trim if we're having one shod at the same time. We have 4 shod horses so pay him £55 x 4 horses x 9 times a year = £1980 a year!