Tristan Tucker & TRT Method (as seen at the Dressage Convention)

Tash88

Visit site
Just a quick post now as I am at work, but I would be interested to gather some opinions on Tristan Tucker's training scheme, as seen at the Dressage Convention at Bury Farm last weekend. It is now possible to sign up to a series of modules with videos, webinars etc which teach you how to put it into practice with your horse, starting in November.

I am quite easily taken in by things which promise to make huge differences sometimes, and not just concerning my horse, and so I would like to discuss it with those who are probably les naive than me before I sign up and part with my money, although at 199 euros for the whole thing I don't think it is too bad in terms of value, if I work from it properly.

Thanks in advance, Tash x

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Wow, is that the price? That's a shame. If it had been less, I'd have been interested. I liked his approach and had a chat to him at TDC. It's similar to what we've done with my funny little cob and it's really worked, and I was interested in the structure of the course.

FWIW I think it's the sort of thing that can work really well IF you can read your horse well enough and behave in a completely consistent way, without bringing any emotion into it. I didn't think it was gimmicky or wacky, but quite logical (without requiring the horse to be logical ;)) BUT he is clearly more skilled than some horse owners at reading & reacting quickly to a change in the horse's mental and physical state.

LynH

Visit site
I also watched him at TDC and have tried out his method with my awfully spooky mare at home. I found she didn't drop her head as she stepped under with her inside hind but as I'd already taught her to drop her head for me to turn off the trimmers I proceeded anyway. I've not been able to clip her without IV sedation for over 15 years and she loses the plot over scissors and trimmers. This week using his pattern of moving her feet and turning off the trimmers I managed to get her to drop her head and relax with the trimmers on. I found she was jumping every time I turned them on and off so started to use food as a reward rather than turning them off. Got to run them all over her which is a huge huge improvement.
I probably wouldn't pay for his website having watched 3 sessions at TDC I'm just going to keep doing what I can from what I remember of the sessions. I also have the benefit of having Tarrsteps as a friend and this is her area of expertise so hoping to tap into her knowledge if I get stuck.
I'm planning on trying to use the pattern with my other mare who uses passage/piaffe as an evasion out hacking. Usually have to half pass to break it so hoping if I teach her the pattern on the ground and then ridden I can use it to gain control over the passage.
Bit long winded but basically have a go and see how you get on.

Tash88

Visit site
Thaks for replying :). I think you're right, and the problem is that although I think I am pretty good at reading my horse I can't say that I won't bring emotion into it as a) I'm quite an emotional person (particularly where my horse is concerned!) and b) I want it to work.

I'm glad that the online classes don't start until the 23rd November so that I have some time to research and work out exactly what I want to do, i.e. whether I want to spend £200 on this or on having a behaviour expert (have been recommended several, thinking of Jason Webb at the moment) come to see my horse. I emailed Tristan Tucker about coming to see my horse but I expect he is incredibly busy, besides he is based in Holland.

Thanks for your opinion Millie, much appreciated

Regandal

Visit site
Is he the guy who features in the spoof dressage vid going round on fb just now? Very funny, saint of a horse.

Last edited:

Tash88

Visit site
Not too long winded at all, I really appreciate you getting back to me, and it seems to have had a great impression on your mare! I only saw the Saturday evening session which was great but I think I would have more confidence in my ability to replicate his methods if I had seen him work three times over the whole weekend.

I like to think I'm not a complete numpty regarding equine behaviour in general, my horse's behaviour and how I deal with him, but I am a worrier and I often lack confidence in how I perceive things (if that makes sense) and so I think it would be better if someone actually came to see my horse and I could discuss things with them as part of a consultation, and so I don't have to rely completely on my assessment of the situation. Similarly I think that the TRT online course would be a bit one-sided as I wouldn't be able to discuss things, apart from in the group webinars.

Thanks again for your reply Lyn, much appreciated

Wheels

Visit site
I think there's probably a good market for this type of thing.

IMO there is not enough emphasis on teaching the handling of horses and groundwork in general. Fine until you want to go somewhere new or teach a horse something new, calm a horse or whatever. The BHS exams teach people to lunge an already well versed horse but they don't teach people how to teach a horse to be lunged or lead or loaded or whatever other things we need to do on a daily basis.

However I think OP you might be better spending the money on groundwork lessons, if you are nervous about a particular thing then a session with a sports psychologist may help, if there is something in particular you want to work on with your horse then get a behaviourist / natural horsemanship type person in to work on that specifically.

I'm sure the online sessions would help in a way but its really important to have someone there to watch how you and your horse interact so they can pick up on the small details that you might not be aware of

Tash88

Visit site
Yes I believe so - I didn't see it but have seen it on facebook. The guy pretending to do his first GP test or something?

Tash88

Visit site
I think there's probably a good market for this type of thing.

IMO there is not enough emphasis on teaching the handling of horses and groundwork in general. Fine until you want to go somewhere new or teach a horse something new, calm a horse or whatever. The BHS exams teach people to lunge an already well versed horse but they don't teach people how to teach a horse to be lunged or lead or loaded or whatever other things we need to do on a daily basis.

However I think OP you might be better spending the money on groundwork lessons, if you are nervous about a particular thing then a session with a sports psychologist may help, if there is something in particular you want to work on with your horse then get a behaviourist / natural horsemanship type person in to work on that specifically.

I'm sure the online sessions would help in a way but its really important to have someone there to watch how you and your horse interact so they can pick up on the small details that you might not be aware of

Totally agree - see my other responses! My instructor is a wonderful sports psychologist but she doesn't know it. I am fairly experienced but have never startedahorse before so haven't had to teach new things from scratch before. I have dealt with various problems but this is defeating me a bit and so I am researching behaviourists at the moment.

Thanks for replying :)

Brightbay

Visit site
Totally agree - see my other responses! My instructor is a wonderful sports psychologist but she doesn't know it. I am fairly experienced but have never startedahorse before so haven't had to teach new things from scratch before. I have dealt with various problems but this is defeating me a bit and so I am researching behaviourists at the moment.

Thanks for replying :)

It does sound as though you have an issue that a behaviourist could help you resolve. Bear in mind that there is a world of difference between a behaviourist and a natural horsemanship trainer (and confusingly, some natural horsemanship trainers say they are behaviourists although they have no background in psychology or animal behaviour). This link is informative in terms of helping to learn the difference. http://www.ebta.co.uk/faq-behaviourist.html

Tash88

Visit site
I'd be going for a behaviourist rather than a natural horsemanship trainer; that is a very interesting article and thank you for sharing Brightbay