Trodden on

C1airey

Visit site
A few weeks ago my horse trod on my foot. Horse was shod and got me good and proper. It’s absolutely fine now so long as I don’t prod it. I can walk and ride on it just fine. However, it does have a weird lumpy bit which wasn’t there before, hurts like hell to touch and isn’t showing any sign of departing in its own accord.

Where do I go to get it x-rayed? A&E seems a bit OTT. I think I’d be wasting their time, or so far down the triage list (understandably) that I’d be there all day. Are there walk-in clinics for this sort of thing? Do I start with a doctor? I’m never usually ill, so have no idea...!

elliejhb

Visit site
Some walk in clinics have xray machines (2 near me do) which the CCG advise people to go to for minor injuries including broken bones.
You may be able to find out on the NHS website if the walk in centres near you have an xray machine?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Theres a walk in clinic in MK hopsital. It is absolutely heaving out of hours but if you go between 8.30 and 5.30 is a ghost town pretty much. Thats where I would go, or to the equivalent if you have one closer.

Inda

Visit site
It might be a Scottish thing, but we have walk in nurse clinics. People generally don't like going to it, I think because there's no doctor there. I love it, the nurse can x-ray, dispense antibiotics, pain relief, vaccinate if required, suture. If you need to see a doctor, you're already triaged when your sent over.

The head nurses here brother is a vet, so he is well used to my animal related mishaps. But for the fast service I get "ffs what have you done now"

C1airey

Visit site
It might be a Scottish thing, but we have walk in nurse clinics. People generally don't like going to it, I think because there's no doctor there. I love it, the nurse can x-ray, dispense antibiotics, pain relief, vaccinate if required, suture. If you need to see a doctor, you're already triaged when your sent over.

Yes! This would be perfect!

Good to know about MKH, I’ll have a look to see if the L&D have similar, if not, I’ll pop in to MK on Monday mid-morning.

Thanks peeps!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If you go to the GP they'll probably book you an appointment at the x-ray dept at the hospital.

HeyMich

Visit site
Minor injuries unit? A bit like A&E but less serious. The waiting time is usually much lower too... I'd call nhs24 (or your equivalent) and ask where the nearest centre is. Good luck, hope it isn't broken!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Be warned - if you go to minor injuries unit then their cut off is 2 weeks. If the injury was more than 2 weeks you haveto go to the doctor to then be referred for X ray.

I am sure your "few weeks" was in fact 10 days :rolleyes:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I didnt know that about minor injuries, it's worth knowing!
Hope it's not too serious OP

I only found out after a crashing fall where I probably should have gone to A and E. I don't like hospital trips so simply did not go...

My hand recovered, my dizziness/feeling faint recovered, my ribs recovered but after the 6 weeks I still could not straighten my arm and my elbow was very wrong (and painful).

Went to minor injuries at 12.30pm, it was practically empty. The triage nurse agreed that the elbow was likely broken, that she had an available doctor and X ray machine, but because it was after 14 days she could not process me. I was sent to the GP. Of course, there was a 2 week wait for a GP appointment. They merely referred me to the X ray clinic.

Next time it will always have happened 10 days ago!!!

scats

Visit site
If it’s worrying you, I’d go to the GP and they will probably send you for an X-ray.
I got trodden on about 10 weeks ago- big bruise and very tender on the top of my foot but I could walk and just about get shoes on so I left it. I can’t be bothered with casts and being unable to do stuff for weeks so if I’m able to still walk relatively normally then I leave it. Probably not the best advice! It’s still tender now to touch even lightly 10 weeks later so I think I probably did break it, or at least damaged something.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
A warning to all you youngsters who don't want to be bothered with getting injuries sorted. They catch up with you in the end. My friends and I are going into out sixties now and all the injuries we had 30plus years ago are reminding us they are still there and giving grief. :)

C1airey

Visit site
All warnings duly noted. Injury was absolutely 10 days ago *cough* and would still like to be riding 30yrs from now! It looks like my nearest walk in is indeed MK. Will take myself up to the city on Monday.

Scats, my foot feels exactly the same, so I’ll report back and let you know how I go!