Trot or canter into fences?

be positive

Visit site
I've seen a very nice hkrse for sale! But in jumping it gies into trite to change its mead for a few strides. Now can this be solved or is it something that once in the habit it's never to be solved? I dont know if it's the rider, but she looks like she loses focus a little bit that's why this hirse cant change its rein easily?

Translation to what I am guessing you mean, horse comes back to trot for a few strides to change leg when jumping rather than doing a flying change, can this be improved with correct work? answer probably yes depending on it's age and how established it is but to my mind if the horse can do the job required if at times you need to do a quick transition to rebalance it is not going to make much difference unless you are competing at top level, most horses get away with sometimes approaching on the wrong lead when competing and will often pop in a change anyway.

If it is in a sales video the rider may be aware of the video running and be trying to get everything right so being a bit cautious about asking a green horse to change and missing, I would be more interested in how the horse jumps, whether it is enjoying the job and see how it rides when you go and try than overthinking on a minor issue that may not even be one.

sportsmansB

Visit site
We jump the event horses out of trot in training (not all the time, but sometimes)
It can help if they start to jump to one side a bit from canter, if they rush, or whatever. Most times with a placing pole if the fences are a bit bigger.
Its also useful to know that your horse can feel confident jumping from trot if you have an issue cross country and have to trot into something...

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I've been on a horse in a jump class, and while everybody else was approaching in trot I was told to approach in canter otherwise my horse wouldn't have to forward speed to get over it...

This Sunday just gone, another student was on the same horse, different instructor, and he didn't get the same advice. The horse messed up his approach and stepped on the placing pole which rolled under his hoof; he almost stumbled, though not quite, and then almost stood dead still before half-heartedly jumping over the 30cm obstacle... The rider kept his balance, though, and pulled up the horse to a stop before reaching the perimeter (rider's balance on approach and landing and then stopping were the objectives of the exercise).

I've been on horses who would have done that jump easily out of walk or trot, this particular horse absolutely has to approach at a canter, otherwise he is useless (or seems it... maybe a better rider could get more out of him).

SpringArising

Visit site
Horses should be trained to jump from trot. And from weird angles. How else are you going to save yourself in a crappy moment if you've only ever cantered in on a perfect line?!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I also have been to a Lucinda clinic and had to jump XC from walk! It made sense when she explained it.
I think if your horse is comfortable to jump in canter then do so.

LG gets you jumping from walk as it exaggerates the jump so you can develop your position and reactions it’s a very beneficial exercise for riders .
I jump my horses from walk and trot and canter all the horses I have will hunt at some point and turning and jumping a upright fence in mud from trot with very little run up is something hunters need to understand and do .
For an event horse it’s a good skill to have as well particularly when they are starting out .

Orangehorse

Visit site
A horse can jump up to 4' I was told and I knew someone who produced hunters and they would only ever trot into a fence out hunting - obviously not massive hedge and ditch!

Useful to be able to jump out of trot, in case of need.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Useful to be able to jump out of trot, in case of need.

I completely agree.

I'm not all that interested in competing, neither SJ or XC; the extra jumping classes that I do are so that when we're trotting along a forest path and find a tree trunk across it, we can jump over it. Being able to jump from a trot is not just "nice to have" for hacking, it's a "must have" skill.