Trot to Canter transition with no stirrups

lucysearle81

Visit site
I'm having trouble with the transition from trot to canter with no stirrups. I just can't seem to do it properly. The stupid thing is if I hold my reins in one hand and hold the saddle with the other hand I can get the transition without feeling like i'm bouncing all over the place. A couple of strides of canter and I can then take both my reins back with no trouble at all and I feel quite balanced and comfortable. As soon as I try the transition without holding onto the saddle it just all seems to go to pot! I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong with my position (legs in particular). I know you're not supposed to grip with your knees and thigh (which to my knowledge I'm not doing). Some people have told me I should keep my legs long and loose by the horses side(like hanging washing), but others have said I should grip with my ankles/calves to maintain balance. I'm aware that I am not the most relaxed rider in the world and when I trot without stirrups feel like i'm clenching my bum muscles a bit too much. More likely to be legs are wrong? or bum muscles clenched? or both? A bit confused.

Any advise anyone could could offer me would be greatly appreciated!

I'm going to do this if it kills me! lol

ThreeTB's

Visit site
Sorry, haven't got any advice, but have to say I'm surprised you're struggling with the upwards transition - it's the coming back to trot that always gets me!

Actually I do have advice ;) - I have to almost think of leaning back so that I don't tip forwards in the transition as that throws me off balance and then it all goes pear-shaped! I often catch myself clenching my bum too, it's something I do without realising :eek:

PingPongPony

Visit site
My advice is to either A) ride bareback as i find it much easier :D or B) Let your leg stretch long but not straight, relax and keep your leg on the horse but dont ''hold'' youreslf to the horse with your legs. RELAX! relax your bum, think of it almost as a coushion, if its nices and squishy it'll go with the horse easily, if its tense and bouncy it'll bounce off the horse. breathe, sit up. if you have to hold your saddle but better with both hands without taking the hands of the reins, make sure you have a nice contact so that your horse doesn't rush into canter, that makes you bounce about and panic cuz you're thinking ''i gotta slow the horse down''. also make sure that you get a nice calm trot, but calm i dont mean horses nose on the floor dragging it feet, calm is steady, nice rythm but good energy, then and only then ask for canter, you should get it straight away, if horse rushes forwards and goes into canter, bring it back to trot and try again, this is for your benefit and the horses, you'll bounce less and horse will respond better :) Good luck and remember relax, nice and calm :)

beehorses

Visit site
Prehaps you are just over thinking it. Now this may sound stupid but try singing to yourself it will help you to breath and relax you without knowing it. (you have to sing out loud not mumble it or you don't breath properly):D

Got to be worth a try it worked for me (but I did nearly fall off with the giggles when my instructor told me to sing humpty dumpty out loud):D

lucysearle81

Visit site
Thank you for all your comments. I do think the relaxation thing is a major factor. My body is quite tense and it's silly because I ride this horse all the time so it's not that i'm feeling scared. I actually have alot of trust in this horse. I must admit I have a similar problem with the transition with stirrups, but I must feel a bit more confident with them than without because I always get the canter in the end and never have to hold the saddle when I have stirrups. I probably am completely over thinking this like I do with.....well pretty much everything to be honest! I think I actually stop breathing sometimes as well which is never a good thing! lol. Maybe singing is the way forward! lol It's certainly worth a try and will give my instructor an hour of pure amusement! It's a good idea though.

Thanks again for everyones advise and words of encouragement :)

I'll let you know how I get on!

Herts05

Visit site
Are you putting the weight on the correct (inside) seatbone and sitting back?

You could try walk to canter first so that you can work on your the above. I have found that doing turn on the forehand first and then going into canter worked for me

Or maybe have a lesson on the lunge so you can concentrate on your position.

lucysearle81

Visit site
Are you putting the weight on the correct (inside) seatbone and sitting back?

You could try walk to canter first so that you can work on your the above. I have found that doing turn on the forehand first and then going into canter worked for me

Or maybe have a lesson on the lunge so you can concentrate on your position.

I'm not really sure if I am naturally putting weight on the inside seat bone, but i've not been conciously thinking about it which I probably should. I think i'm getting in such a state about it that i'm not really composing myself like I would be normally cantering with stirrups. I've been told that when I canter generally I sit back too much rather than having a more upright position so lately i've been trying not to sit back as much. Do you think it is necessary to sit back more when cantering without stirrups than with stirrups? The horse I am riding at the moment is quite difficult to get cantering in general. I'm not sure I could even get him cantering from a walk, but I guess it is worth a try. My riding school won't canter anyone on the lunge.

Thanks for your advice, i'm really taking on board everything everyone is snaying. :)