Trotting then pacing

anna22

Visit site
Hi,

I have recently acquired a very talented but green ISH (8yrs), he schools well etc and appear totally sound on hard and soft.

But yesterday whilst schooling I was working him in trot on a large 20m circle, and when he went down on to the bit he would then start to pace... only stopping when I pushed him on to a very fast trot, which left him unbalanced. He doesn't do it when trotting in a straight line.
I had a horse that would do this many years ago, and a tranier said the horse was becoming disunited due to lack of training and would come right with as we continued to work.

Just wanted to get a few other views on this, as I am considering getting his back checked by the vet, do you think it will come right as it is only because he is finding the work difficult, or do you think I should go ahead and get him vet checked.

Many Thanks
A

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I'd see how he is when you try the same things with him over the next few days. I'd be inclined to say "NO", bring him back to walk and then start again, rather than trying to run him out of it.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
Transitions- when they go to pace or 'hop' in trot go back to walk. You may need to start with an irish jog in a long and low position to build up muscle, then after a few weeks you can develop into the bigger trots for little periods (transistions within the pace)

Just slow down and don't push on. IME ISHs take a long time to develop. You have years ahead of you!

nirikina

Visit site
It sounds like he is unbalanced. Bring him back to walk, then ask for trot again. Keep it slow, and keep the circles large.