Troublesome traveler

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
I'm at a loss... We were supposed to go to event today... But after a more bad luck than I can count, well it didn't happen.

My mare is a pain to travel but today she decided to be a pain to load... Eventually got her in to go find we had a flat tyre, this was 20 mins after my dressage time... And the event is an hour away.

The tyre can't be helped, but I'm getting to my wits end with my mare - considering giving up riding entirely. I love her to bits and don't want to get another horse. She's a star any other time but in the horse box.

we don't have our own transport, and I can't drive a trailer or a 7.5 because of my licence restrictions - post 97. So we hire a 3.5. We don't travel very often because its so darn expensive to hire so we save up for the big parties.

So the issue, she tests everything... She usually loads fine, today was a blip and we can cope with that. She tries to jump. Now she has got her legs over the rear partition before (rear facing box)... Luckily she got away unscathed. So we now travel 1.5 hours to pick up a 3.5 ton rear facing with a jump partition - floor to ceiling jobby, like a racemaster. Today she learnt to put her feet up onto it... Getting her leg stuck under her nose.... Que panic to remove her from box before she injures herself....

So now I'm returning unused box- with new tyre and feeling particularly sorry for myself. I don't want to travel her when its this stressful and id hate her to get hurt, but I have her so I can compete, its what I love to do... Not competing would be a waste as she could be so good...

Question is what do I do next? I've had hobbles suggested... I'd hate to think what she'd do to a trailer, she travels well in a 7.5 herringbone. But i can't drive it, plus its harder to find a hire vehicle so I'd have to buy... Which isn't going to happen this year.

Sorry if this doesnt make a lot if sense, I'm still so frustrated and struggling to think straight.

Anyone been in a similar position, suggestions would be great.

be positive

Visit site
A few things spring to mind, most of which may not help but are probably relevant to your issues.
The only time you load is stressful, however hard you try not to be worried she will know you are going out to a party and sense your anxiety.
The 31/2 ton box it sounds as if she finds it claustrophobic, she has already been over the bars, now she cannot do that she has tried another way to show her fears.
Do you have another pony that can travel with her, it may make you overweight but worth considering.
Are you on a yard, or could you go to one where you can use a box daily to practice, or possibly find someone with a 71/2 ton box that will do a shared load to events, again if at livery this option may be available.
Taking her off today means another "failure" which will worry you even more so without some work before you need to go somewhere it will be there next time, if you have not actually taken it back yet take time to do some more work, be relaxed and get her in making it a good experience, if it has gone back try and find someone in your area that will come and work with you, bringing a box, before the next important event.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Thanks guys, the issue isn't the loading .. its the first five minutes in the box. Being stationary makes it worse... I don't know how to help her control her fears, other than traveling more? So she gets used to it? I don't think the 3.5 is ideal and now I know that I can't travel in this one again as she is a smart cookie, she knows that we let her out when she does this because we don't want her to get hurt. So now she's doing it quickly. We got her back in straight away, so I font feel like I've failed, but I don't feel safe now, if she did it mid journey I don't know what would happen.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
I think you're right Nightmare before christmas, maybe a 7.5 ton is the way forward. Are they expensive to run? I will need to take a test? Where do I start?

Nosey

Visit site
I've had similar probs when I 1st got my mare..she loaded fine but let rip when in. I tried for mths to feed her in the lorry/asking her to stand quietly for seconds at a time...to no avail..& when she kicked off it was scary. Various people I consulted eg ih practitioners adv me the traveling process wasn't one we cld influence. As she travelled well with company we got her a small hairy travelling chum...end of problem. Have you tried yours with company..cld this be a positive & calming influence on her? Have you a friend you cld try this with poss with a view to sharing travel costs?