TRT or Maxwell videos ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Which ones did you buy ? And why
How did you rate them to transfer into real life?
Did you buy the rope and halter?
Would you buy again or do something different?

TPO

Visit site
I have no experience of TRT so can't comment.

I've seen Richard Maxwell "live" several times and have his books. I haven't bought his videos as I feel like I know his system and I personally don't feel I would gain much from the videos. That is just because I've seen him live so many times and I do highly rate his groundwork.

Warwick Schiller does a subscription service too but there is absolutely loads of his stuff available free on youtube. I'd recommend starting with his Principles of Training series (I think there are 3 series). There is an obvious change in him/his interaction with horses/his "beliefs"(for want of a better word) in the final/most recent series. Most of the free stuff is pre "the change".

I went to watch a Joe Midgely clinic a few months ago and I REALLY liked his way with the horses and found him really personable. I am buying a subscription to his videos. I meant to do it at the time but have had laptop/wifi issues. Hes the only trainer that's inspired me to part with cold hard cash in this way! Ha ha

Highflinger

Visit site
TRT - to be fair I didn't look at Maxwell but been very impressed with TRT . I was going to the UK demo last year but was cancelled due to Covid as I think I would have found it useful.
I already had a parelli rope halter and line so use that
It is still work in progress but ponio is defo much lighter in hand although we still need to improve spookyness when ridden out hacking although much improved in school.
I suppose that is the area I am not sure about - how to translate the method out hacking

Neddie123

Visit site
I have no experience of TRT so can't comment.

I've seen Richard Maxwell "live" several times and have his books. I haven't bought his videos as I feel like I know his system and I personally don't feel I would gain much from the videos. That is just because I've seen him live so many times and I do highly rate his groundwork.

Warwick Schiller does a subscription service too but there is absolutely loads of his stuff available free on youtube. I'd recommend starting with his Principles of Training series (I think there are 3 series). There is an obvious change in him/his interaction with horses/his "beliefs"(for want of a better word) in the final/most recent series. Most of the free stuff is pre "the change".

I went to watch a Joe Midgely clinic a few months ago and I REALLY liked his way with the horses and found him really personable. I am buying a subscription to his videos. I meant to do it at the time but have had laptop/wifi issues. Hes the only trainer that's inspired me to part with cold hard cash in this way! Ha ha
Im interested to hear how you think Warwick Schiller has 'changed' his approach? Ive watched some of his free vides and also had a month of subscribing but didnt notice much difference in his ways of teaching?

TPO

Visit site
Im interested to hear how you think Warwick Schiller has 'changed' his approach? Ive watched some of his free vides and also had a month of subscribing but didnt notice much difference in his ways of teaching?

He talks about it a lot. He went into counselling and became more spiritual. Hes know more about "connection" with the horse.

He has loads of podcasts and he talks about it in depth.

I spectated at a clinic of his circa 2014/15 & was pretty disgusted at his treatment of the horses. To me he came across like the stereotypical "small man" bully. I would have walked out but I was there with a new work colleague so needed a lift home! Only on the way home we realised we both wanted to leave. Quite a few people did bail at lunchtime becausw they too were disgusted.

Another friend who had been at that clinic went back to watch him 2019 with my mum. They both came back talking about a very different man with a very different manner and who patted the horses*

Not a pony patter but that was an improvement on kneeing them in the guts!

I personally wanted nothing to do with him or his teachings after seeing him in the flesh. However after the good reports I looked into his teachings again. He does talk a lot of sense and I personally appreciate his new approach more. He has gone a little too "airy fairy" for me with the spiritual stuff but each to their own

Dont know if that answers at all but if you search his name on here you'll find quite a few posts about him

Neddie123

Visit site
He talks about it a lot. He went into counselling and became more spiritual. Hes know more about "connection" with the horse.

He has loads of podcasts and he talks about it in depth.

I spectated at a clinic of his circa 2014/15 & was pretty disgusted at his treatment of the horses. To me he came across like the stereotypical "small man" bully. I would have walked out but I was there with a new work colleague so needed a lift home! Only on the way home we realised we both wanted to leave. Quite a few people did bail at lunchtime becausw they too were disgusted.

Another friend who had been at that clinic went back to watch him 2019 with my mum. They both came back talking about a very different man with a very different manner and who patted the horses*

Not a pony patter but that was an improvement on kneeing them in the guts!

I personally wanted nothing to do with him or his teachings after seeing him in the flesh. However after the good reports I looked into his teachings again. He does talk a lot of sense and I personally appreciate his new approach more. He has gone a little too "airy fairy" for me with the spiritual stuff but each to their own

Dont know if that answers at all but if you search his name on here you'll find quite a few posts about him
Thanks thats really interesting. The things Ive seen I liked and thought they made sense but I think Ive only seen the more recent stuff. Im just looking at Maxwell now - hadn't heard of him.

daydreamer

Visit site
You could try YourHorsemanship - Jason Webb. Here are the details about the subscriptions. He isn't as good at publicising himself as Tristan Tucker or maybe Richard Maxwell!

There are now different levels of subscription to his site. If you pay the full amount there are lots of videos which break ground work down step by step, you can also post on a forum and he usually answers himself. He also does a new recording of a "demo" once a month, a webinar once a month and a facebook Q and A session. He is very friendly and approachable and if you get stuck you can actually get help from him.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
My hubbie bought me the TRT Method for Christmas. My mares pain reaction is to spook & run, she did this in October resulting me coming off at speed shoulder first ?
Scoped and Grade 2/3 Squamous & Glandular Ulcers.

I have only just started and we are on the third pattern challenge, however I do think it’s going to help my mare. When we start a session she is abit pushy, looking around the outside of the school, not concentrating on me. It soon gets her attention and she really relaxes and thinks about it (picture soft blinking eyes and lots of yawning).

Im looking forward to how it will transfer to ridden when I’m fit enough to get back on board and she’s completed her treatment.

I do lack confidence and I have been really rattled with this fall, I was watching a lesson at the stables and didn’t know how I could get from where I am now (nervous & injured) to how the person in the lesson was cantering around. I think with the TRT Method I can get from here to here to here before I have to get to there (if that makes sense).

I already had the rope halter & I use a long line.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Maxwell all day long! We had Richard out to the youngster last year as the support I’d been promised when buying him never materialised and I wanted to make sure we were getting the foundations right. I could really relate to his matter of fact approach and way of explaining things, within weeks we could really see a difference in the way he reacted to new things and have continued teaching him in-hand using Richard’s methods to great effect.

foxy1

Visit site
I like Jason Webb and his your horsemanship videos. I think he has a much clearer system for transferring the groundwork to ridden work than the others.
I like Maxwell too, I have his books but prefer Jason Webb for above reason.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I think a lot of Max stuff is good old common horse sense. I got bored with TRT and frankly never have enough time to put it into practice (he also makes it look very easy and it’s far from it) but do use aspects of it daily as it probably refined some of my thinking with competition horses. I go back to Warwick Schiller time and time again though for problem solving or thinking about things in a different way.

I am always intrigued if there is a better way which is probably why stealing from lots of methods suits me better. There isn’t one way to skin a cat.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I really rate Max, i had him out to my non loading horse and to see him working a horse i knew so well was pretty amazing. His intuition was second to none. He was calm, even when my horse was waving front feet in his face, firm but fair. I learnt a lot from him that day and have bought some of his videos too.