true horsey stories? (warhorse)

SarahRicoh

Visit site
Iv just been to see warhorse (aww :)) and it got me thinking... Its not a true story-i think- and nor are most other horse stories i know.. Flicka is an amazing film-watch it if you havent!

Anyway what i thought about was are there any true horse stories that are films/books? Does anyone have any real life stories to tell about amazing bonds/horsey hereos? Thought it might be an interesting thread :)

Also i really think my old horse ricoh looks veey similar to warhorse(the young one).. Does anyone else? Cant post a pic but hes on my profile!

bumblelion

Visit site
Not really got any amazing stories. However my great grandad had his horses taken off him for the war. He swore that he saw them whilst fighting in France too! I couldn't cope with the thought of mine being taken! Feel so bad for him, despite never meeting him as he got bombed in ww2 by a doodlebug!

CatStew

Visit site
Not really a story, but I come from an old farming family. The two farms where my grandmother grew up face each other over a valley and my she used to ride the cart horses across the valley to either of the farms. The livery yard where my two are kept is now in the middle of the valley, both farms still belong to my family and my mum and I have exclusive access to ride over their fields :)

In The Real World

Visit site
My story starts when a lady brought a HUGE but underweight chestnut onto the livery yard where I stabled in 12 yrs ago.

He was a Purebred Suffolk Punch so poor he was ewe knecked. I really liked him and spoke to owner to find out what had happened to the poor fellow - she claimed she had moved up from the Channel Islands 6 months prior and she had just saved up enough money to get her horse transported upto the North of England (Buxton,Derbyshire).

Anyway as she was obviously struggling financially I helped her with haylege as my booy couldnt manage a full round bale before it went off anyway so it made sense I guess and I just fell for the Suffolk :) bless.

Anyway over the next few months she began to neglect the gelding and I found myself taking him on only to have the lady come to me the following summer asking me a ridiculous price as she had decided to sell him :( so I sent her packing along with the horse which broke my heart - but £15'000 wasnt at all realistic and I decided to cut my losses.

4 months later I found out were she had taken the Suffolk (at this time I had just sadly lost my horse) so I was horseless and heartbroken I went to visit the Suffolk only to find him poor and seriously underweight yet again! Apparently he kept escaping from the half acre field in the village and kept demolishing everyones gardens trying to get his fill - he was found usually once a week free grazing on the football field according to a lady in the village! I felt terrible for letting him go, I wanted to kill the silly woman who owned him - so my friend and I drove to the local haylege supplier we used and bought a small bale and put it in the field and let the poor lad eat. I then returned the following day with yet another bale & my cheque book! I bought the suffolk for £200 and took him home - we got him back to strength and we had 4 very happy yrs hacking out and having fun.

My life sadly changed at this point and I split from my partner - I could no longer afford my horse and sadly had to let him go :( to a good home (or so I thought) the gentleman turned out to be a dealer and sold him on to a youngman who sadly got badly injured falling off and got dragged over a gate smashing his legs to pieces! (I forgot to mention my Suffolk had a few issues with men & food) but looked after correctly he was always just fine......until I sold him.

My horse was then passed on yet again to a novice couple who had bought him on there credit card for a large sum :( but again the raging bull had come out in him again and more bones where broken and confidence lost - I recieved a phone from the owners at this point who had traced me, asking me if I would buy him off them as they had been kicked off the yard as he was too dangerous and they couldnt handle him :(

I by this point wasnt much better off finacially - but drove 2 hours to the location to find a very fat and smug looking Suffolk Punch! He looked in super condition for his breed but blimey they had created a monster! He had smashed 3 stable doors dislicated his owners shoulder and broken his toes......I explained exactly his story and how I had been forced to part with him, we managed to agree a price and I arranged for a wagon to collect him I walked him up the field walkway he pranced like stallion at the side of me all the way up but never attempted anything silly. He walked up the ramp and we headed off home - 10yrs have now passed and he's in his late teens but never put a hoof out of place since bless - I finally got my boy back and he's happily retired now living with my partners donkeys. He costs me a fortune in haylege but never have I had such a bond with a horse in my life - I almost lost him for good. Thank god for passports and been able to trace old owners - its about the only thing there anyuse for xxx

Arizahn

Visit site
My mare takes care of me when I am having an off day - I am epileptic. She neighs for my OH if I have an absence near her and he isn't there! Very sweet, patient little mare.
Of course on my good days, she expects me to cope like any other person and loves playing little pranks like: "knock the water bucket over my owner's feet", lol!
She also rescued my OH when he sank up to his ankles in some mud and his boots came off! He called her and she came back and let him lean on her so he could get free of the mud.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
To long to type out again and don't want to compleatly highjack this thread. ;)

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=373541&highlight=Lucy+million+pony

Here's how it ends :(

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...ghlight=beautiful+angel+brightest+star+heaven

She realy was the most amazing pony ever despite all she had been through and I still miss her so very very much but I wouldn't change a single thing about the time we shared. Here's a little video I made for her.

[youtube]PRvOZqtTKrk[/youtube]

Thankyou if you read my baby's story :)