Trying a green horse - natural jump?

scramble_cam

Visit site
Hi
I am currently look for a horse with the capability to bring on to BE and BS at about 1m 10. I tried a 6 year old TB who hasn't done much so is unschooled and green. Would you expect a horse that hasnt jumped for about 18 months and is a blank canvas to be able to clear a crosspole and a small jump about 2'6 cleanly if it was going to have potential to jump well. He had a lovely big walk and canter but when jumped he knocked it down (wasnt just a tap - he took it out with front legs) 6 times out of 7. I could do with some advise on this as never looked for a young horse before - just acquired my previous one and didn't have much choice :)
Thanks
Emma

Last edited:

kirstie

Visit site
Yes, I would expect it to be able to jump and clear a fence when loose. I went and looked at 4 different 3yr olds last week and they all loose jumped beautifully and one of them had only done it once before.

With a rider on- at that age yes I would unless the rider was dire and totally negatively influenced the horse.

scramble_cam

Visit site
Thanks for such quick replies. You have kind of confirmed what I thought. The rider wasn't dire and didn't interfere too much. I guess its back to the search - I hate looking for horses its so difficult. Last time I just gave up after 3 failed vettings and stuck with my horse who didn't enjoy jumping.

TBB

Visit site
I wouldn't mind a green horse knocking a fence once (no matter how small!) but I would expect/hope that the next time he would either be reluctant to approach and balloon it when he gets there or preferably, happily approach and jump big to avoid knocking it a second time. (Some very careful green horses would prefer not to go near a fence rather than knock it). Knocking a small fence 6 out of 7 times would signal a very careless horse and if they start out that way they don't usually improve.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I wouldn't mind a green horse knocking a fence once (no matter how small!) but I would expect/hope that the next time he would either be reluctant to approach and balloon it when he gets there or preferably, happily approach and jump big to avoid knocking it a second time. (Some very careful green horses would prefer not to go near a fence rather than knock it). Knocking a small fence 6 out of 7 times would signal a very careless horse and if they start out that way they don't usually improve.

Agree! Some horses never seem to get their feet connected to their brains. Keep looking.

sunnyone

Visit site
Have to agree my non-raced TB mare was bred to be a Champion Hurdler. First problem was she was a filly not a colt. Second was she would jump, but hated it, so her syndicate of owners bred from her.
Walk away now, there are plenty out there who jump for their own fun.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I expect a green horse with good jump potential to be over careful when jumping, they settle down as they get more experienced. Would not bother with one who is not careful! they usually never learn to pick their feet up as they don't care if they whack poles. Having said that, my horse is now careful after being a bulldozer, but that was because he panic ran through fences and didn't coordinate his legs

TheMule

Visit site
I will forgive a young horse a green pole but I'd expect it to come round next time and make sure it cleared it well. 6/7 knock downs would make me walk away quickly!

kassieg

Visit site
I would expect a green horse to over jump or get in a little close really jump but take it out behind. I wouldnt mind a pole being kicked out but then i would expect it to over jump the next time as it isn't used to jumping & therefore taking poles out.

i wouldn't consider the horse, sorry