Trying Out Horses

X

xspiralx

I think if it's going to be your horse to have and ride for yourself, you've got to pretty much love it off the bat. I know the horses I've loved, I've known it the first time I rode them and would say it's gone the same at the other end of the spectrum, too. BUT - and it's a big one - I think if you're buying a horse to do a job it's got to at least be suitable to do the job. I do see people vote with their heart when the horse isn't, say, functionally sound for the desired task, or obviously isn't careful/brave/scopey/a good enough mover to do what they want. I know things can be improved and I'm not talking about a horse that's greener than intended or maybe doesn't look like the buyer imagined it would, but it's surprising how many times the thing people ignored/explained away at first is the thing that's come home to haunt them later, even if there's a period of improvement.

I agree with this.

I think it depends if you're looking for 'the one' or a horse to do a job.

My last mare wasn't really my type - I didn't 'love' riding her, and it took us a while to build a bond. But she wasn't bought to be my horse for life, she was bought for me to jump and have fun with and be no drama for a year before I went to uni, and she did that job perfectly.

If I wanted a horse to be my horse for life, then I think I'd have to have that instant click.

I'd probably try jumping the horse though unless I really disliked the horse on the flat - because to me the feel over jumps is the biggest thing. I can forgive [and work on] a lot of problems on the flat if the feel jumping is great.

Luci07

Visit site
Have to click when I get on or what is the point? I actually rode a lot of different horses in 2 dealers which was a very good experience and you very quickly can say yes/no/do more.

If you get on and don't feel right then keep looking! I bought a young and much bigger horse than I had originally stipulated but he is very short coupled and immensly comfortable. I have kept the videos of me trying him and after just doing 2 circuits I ride back with a massive smile and say "this is the one". I did jump/ride him for longer but he felt right to me. Still my YO had said "thats for you" when he was pulled out and I had said no, too big, but ended up trying him anyway after some others. Got my own back - I found her a horse she had walked past and he has proved to be equally lovely!

Leg_end

Visit site
Yep I go with my gut feeling, if I don't enjoy riding it the first time it's highly unlikely I'll like it the second. As I'm also a wimp ;) if I jump it then it's as good as on the lorry!!