Trying to price my boy...help please

mpicton

Visit site
After many painful and upsetting discussions with friends, family and knowledgable people it seems that keeping my boy whilst going to university is unlikely, mainly due to financial reasons. I've still got a year left to think about any other possible ways around it but I would be interested to see what kind of price he would be marketed at. Prices seem pretty bizarre atm so many opinions woulf be appreciated. This really is a last resort for me, I am so desperate to work around it.

I brought him as a 7 year old for £4000, he was very green and needed a lot of work on the flat but he is extremely genuine and I have never known a horse to try so hard for you, there's something very special about him in that sense.

He's a 15.2H, piebald gelding, TBxID i suspect. Would be 9 by the time I have to sell him. Perfect in everyway shoeing/loading/vets/clip etc, comes to call in the field. I've known him since he was a 4yr and has never been sick or sorry. Lives in or out. Is completely bombproof in heaviset traffic. Brilliant out hacking foreward going and fun but exeedingly safe, first/last, in company/on his own. His flatwork has come on astonishingly, he is a new horse. Works consistantly and has established basic changes, leg yielding, flying changes, turning on forehand etc, has a beautiful shape and movement. Has done some lovely tests.
He gives and gives in his jumping, he could jump forever! Jumps a lovely course 3ft3 and higher at home but I've jumped him over 4ft(scope to go higher) and equally good (if better) XC. He really is anyones ride, a real confidence giver (my 5yr sister loves riding him) but could really go somewhere with a more experianced person. Ideal teenagers event horse. He really is sort hard to find and tries his hardest to please, he's a pleasure to do.

Sorry so longwinded
tongue.gif
....what do you think?
Oh and it's in the Surrey/London area.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
yes, coloured's are very popular and by the sounds of it your boy is the sort people would pay alot for. I wouls put him up at about 5k, but be prepared to drop the price to a good home.
How about loaning him out? that way you don't have to sell him and can have him back at the end of uni.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
He sound fantastic, the kind of horse that doesn't come up for sale very often. I would guess (but I’m no expert) about 5 to 6 thousand. If I had the money I would definitely want him!!

JoElla

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Best thing is to have a look around the internet sites, horsemart, horse select, horse deals, Horse & Hound etc and that will give you an idea. Once you've decided on how much you want for him add a little more. People always like to get a bit knocked off the price.... then both you & your buyer will be happy. Good Luck.... this is the part of university life that sucks isn't it!!

KatB

Visit site
You'd easily get 6k for him. I'd try and get him out BSJA or BE to get an affiliated record. and you'll get another 1k over that, at least.

mpicton

Visit site
Thanks everyone, very intersting to hear what you think. If I were to put him out on full loan, would I still be able to ride him when I came home do you think? Or would that be unreasonable?

Lynz25

Visit site
My friend put her pony on full loan when she was away at Uni. Luckily the people were really happy about her riding him in the holidays / weekends when the daugher was not riding. The pony was being kept only a couple of miles away from my friends home. I suppose it just depends on the loaners / what arranhgements you have made with them. How about doing a part share and keeping him at your yard and just having someone take part responsibility?

mpicton

Visit site
Lol Giggles_Mum I would love to give him to you!! Desperately just want someone I can trust and rely on that they would give him the best possible home!

MillionDollar

Visit site
You'd easily get £6,000 - £7,000, if not more!!! He just sounds fantastic. Hes a good age, 100% in everything, very good jump and flat, a confidence giver AND he is coloured. Coloureds are very very very popular. Coloured foals are going for £4000 just because of their colour.
My friend just sold her ID x TB who is not very nice at all for £4,500!! So don't ask too little for him.
smile.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
If you decide to sell him in the end, would be best to spend the next year competing him, (affiliated would be best) as if this is proof of the pudding in saying that he's an excellent jumper and on the flat. Sky's the limit then depending on his results. Horses as you've described are going from £5k + round this way and with proven competition record, from £7.5k plus