Tubigrip for icing legs - question for the eventers

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I was watching a video on Horse Hero where Kitty Boggis demonstrated icing her horses legs using ice cube bags held in place by Tubigrip bandages. Very informative and helpful apart from the fact Kitty didn't say what size Tubigrip she used. So do any of you eventers do the same thing and if so what size Tubigrip should I be ordering?

connie1288

Visit site
I think i have D!!
At home and after a ODE though i use old tail bandages as easier to get on a horse jumping all over you as your knuckles tend to get bashed pulling tubi grip over hoofs.

hannahkirkhill

Visit site
I use size D under their x.c boots
smile.gif

connie1288

Visit site
last year as hannahbanana says we used ice cube bags, much easier than loose ice and mould round the leg perfectly

MistletoeMegan

Visit site
Ice cube bags if you have a cool box with you, if not then you can pick up instant ice packs quite cheaply which you squeeze to activate - the only last once but handy if you don't have any ice available.

Charlotte125

Visit site
so just banadage up the leg, put on the bag of ice cubes, then bandage up over them to hold them in place and hey presto?? sorry for being obvious, got out first BE on friday.

connie1288

Visit site
i went down the leg then ice bag then back up!! TBH we only did this with intermediate horses that had run hard on hard ground though

TableDancer

Visit site
The advantage of tubigrips over icing is that you can keep topping up the ice without taking the whole thing off
smile.gif
Not really relevant for an ordinary one day but very useful at a 3 day or if horse has banged itself!

georgiegirl

Visit site
can i ask a really dumb question???.......why is it people put tubigrip under xc boots? i certain theres a very logical explaination!

hannahkirkhill

Visit site
To stop boots rubbing, extra support and a hopefully add a little protection to their joints when galloping and jumping, Helen used them on the P2Pers after one kept getting sore heals from galloping- its stopped it compeatly
smile.gif
So I grew up thinking it was normal to have it on under boots for canter work ect
tongue.gif

I also leave them on untill I get home with the Intro / PN horses as I do not feel they need bandaging but think it gives some support for the journy home!

Eventer7

New User
Visit site
If you top up, make sure you do not keep ice there for more than 10 minutes at a time or you can frost-bite the skin. Frequent repetitions at intervals gets the circulation going.. which is every bit as important as cooling down any aches and pains...