Tucked up - ideas please

vicm2509

Visit site
I got Baron in yesterday and he appeared very tucked up behind. The only time I have seen him like this before is the day after I took him on a fun ride - it was a really hot day, he got very sweaty and would not have a drink afterwards.

Anyway he went for a lesson on monday as usual, I gave him tuesday off then yesterday he was tucked up. He does not appear dehydrated, the field is quite wet and he also drinks from the trough, usually when I bring him in and when I put him out. The only think I can think of is the weather change, it was really hot, then cold then went quite hot again, could this be a reason? He has been rugged with a MW for about a week.

I have asked my sharer to call me tonight when she takes his rug off.

Besides dehydration what other reasons are there for a horse being tucked up? Bearing in mind this has happened overnight and is not a gradual thing. He is not underweight at all.

showjump

Visit site
My horse looked tucked up the other night, he had been having a LW stable rug on. I decided to put another LW rug on aswell as the other, incase he was cold. He hasnt looked tucked up since. So i think my horse was cold.

Doubt this helps you at all tho.

vicm2509

Visit site
Do you think it is possible his could be the other way around? It suddenly warmed up yesterday compared to the past week, it was 2pm when I got him in and he had a MW on.

D

Donkeymad

Was he rugged until 2pm? if so, the chances are high that he had been sweating and got chilly when he cooled down.

vicm2509

Visit site
He had definatly not been sweating, he was not that hot. He was tucked up before I took his rug off as I noticed it the moment I removed it. It was not that hot, I had a t-shirt, jumper and coat on, just quite a bit warmer than it had been.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
After all the problems this year with Baron I can completely understand your worries. Is he eating as normal, is his bed unusually disturbed, and is he on any sort of probiotic/suppliment after his terrible illness?

If he is no better within a couple of days, perhaps just have a chat with your vet to put your mind at rest.

Really glad to hear he has returned to full work V
grin.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
Everything about him is perfectly normal besides him being tucked up. He was still like that today but not as bad. I lunged him and he seemed fine. He has not been worked since Monday.

He has pink powder as a supplement/probiotic.

He seems perfectly well on the outside. The vet just said to keep an eye on him and call them if it doesnt resolve its self. If he is no better by monday I will get the vet to come and take a look at him.