Tucking up?

PoniesRock

Visit site
I took my pony cross country schooling yesterday, she was such a gem!!

We hacked to the xc - about 30mins and then were on the xc for about an hour and a half and then hacked home. So ovbs quite alot of work and alot of fast work and jumpies. But she was keen and up for it the whole time even bounced on the hack home.

However when we first got to the xc course she did get a bit worked up Mainly because she had back boots on, which were promptly removed when she started trying to kick herself to get them off - she doesn't 'do' back boots! and she did get a bit upset when she had to wait in turns, as we went with a friend and shared a lesson.

She is quite fit, she's worked 5 or 6 days a week and on sundays we generally hack out for 4-5hours which does include alot of fast work, through the woods and wherever else we may or may not be! So I don't think fitness is the issue here. Possibly more to do with being a maddame and getting herself worked up before we started jumping?! not sure?!

However this morning when I got to the yard she was quite tucked up and very quiet. I gave her extra hay as per the norm if she's done a days hard work and put salt in her feed to encourage her to drink more. Normally this system works and I've never had a problem with her being tucked up in the morning. I put her out to graze and checked her a few hours later and she seemed much happier and she's come in tonight looking much more normal. I have given her extra hay tonight as well to er on the side of caution!

But just wondered if anyone elses horses tucks up? and if they do how do you deal with it?

glamourpuss

Visit site
My boys tuck up after a hard day as well. I tend not to worry, a day off & lots of hay/fibre tends to set them straight again.
My young lad looks awful when he tucks up...so I can understand why you were concerned about your pony

PoniesRock

Visit site
When I say 'tucked up' I mean looks like her stomach muscels have clamped up and her muscel lines are really tight. Hope that makes some sence!

She was fine after a day in the field tho, seemed much happier and looked much more chilled out.

But would be intrested to know for future reference. :)