Turn on the forehand

MerryMAL

Visit site
What are the proper aids for a turn on the forehand - I'm used to doing it on T with very unorthodox aids that aren't very dressagey and I'm sure I would confuse and irate new horse if I tried my way on her!!

Rollin

Visit site
I don't know if I give proper aids. My instructor taught me with my old horse who I ride and drive.

She said ask the horse to move 'over' as you would in the stable, using the schooling whip to push him. For me the most difficult bit was stopping him stepping forward. Because I drive him I use voice a lot.

After three sessions using leg, schooling whip and voice he was doing it perfectly. Now I just use leg.

sye777

Visit site
Easiest to walk along next to arena wall with your schooling whip in outside hand. Halt, leg on as if to go forward and ask for half halt (dont pull round!) so front legs start marching, outside leg back to push quarters over with stick for back up, inside leg and hand control impulsion and shoulder. Walk on once turned. Think small semi circle almost on the spot with front legs and large semi circle with hind.