Turn out advice wwyd

andytiger

Visit site
Hi and happy new year to everyone just after some advice really and to find out what everyone else does during winter regarding winter turnout
My horse has trouble with his feet and has come in with a lost shoe tonight from Larkin round so not happy but it happens.
He just doesn't seem to want to be out at the minute but the only problem is he doesn't like being in on his own either I'm on a DIY yard and everyone horses are turned out around 7am and in about 3/4 of an evening
I'm thinking of just turning out for a few hours then bring him in before I go to work in an afternoon he wouldn't be happy but at least he wouldn't be galloping up and down fence line
What would you do has anyone got any other ideas

Thanks for reading

Mrs G

Visit site
My horse doesn't seem to like being out as long in winter either, he too went thru a stage of ploughing his field and pacing the fence line, I think it's because he feels there's not enough to eat - he's been better since Ive turned him out with a hay-net in the field but also I do bring him in earlier. I would like him to stay out longer but if he's not happy you don't want to risk injury.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Has he got a stable mirror? Mine is quite happy falling asleep looking at himself or using his treat ball. You could try him with a lickit to keep him busy, a Decahedron, a swede hanging up, one of those munch blocks in a small haynet? If he's had a few hours out, he might be perfectly happy coming in to a tiny feed at lunch or anything from above.