Turn out / bring in issues

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
We now have riding / napping issues ... never ends does it . We have only had him 3 months and sometimes it feels like one thing after another , but when I look back on how far we have come , I realize it all comes with time and patience x

I think you are doing a grand job BillyBobs and you have come so far in 3 short months. I am sure with your patience and kind approach to him you will overcome the other issues, as you so rightly say it all takes time. Good luck! :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
glad to hear you have sorted the issue of the turning out, sounds like you have done it the right way. dont forget racehorses are used to being ridden with lots of other horses and even if they are ridden in an indoor school they are not usually alone so bear that in mind with the ridden problems and try and only ride him in company both in the school and hacking.and keep the pressure really low for a while. good luck

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
BTW I have an ex racer and he has shown unexpected confidence and unexpected lack of the same which experience and a private, super-chilled home has undoubtedly mitigated. Two years in and we read each other like a book.

Except today, when his 'terror' of big stones and benches (on a regular ride comprising mostly big stones and benches) almost wore my patience to a shred... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Widgeon

Visit site
The key was patience and finding a way that was the least stressful for him.....when I look back on how far we have come , I realize it all comes with time and patience x

Oh that's great, I'm so pleased for you. Sorry to hear your're having ridden issues but hopefully those will resolve too with the same approach of patience and being firm. At least you know now that you can work through the problems he throws at you. Have you got a good instructor or even someone to ride him for you to help with the napping? Would be a shame if it ends up knocking your confidence when you've been doing well. Very best wishes with him, do let us know how you get on :)

P.S. I thought post 28 was pretty harsh but it is a fair point about ulcers, it would be worth ruling those out in so far as you can, then at least that's one obvious potential physical casue for the napping eliminated.