Turn out times.

JumpingJacks

Visit site
Looking at others view on a debate we are having at the moment.

When your horse is stabled at night what is your routine in the morning. How early do you see to your horse- muck out/feed/turn out?

We are having an on-going debate at the moment with what is an acceptable time to see to your horse when it has been in from 5pm or sometimes earlier the previous night.

I am always up early to see to my horse and turn him out/ feed etc. He is the first thing I think about when I wake up and I rush to get down to the yard to sort him out. I am an early bird and the latest I get to the yard is 8.30 am and still then this is very rare as like I said I want to get their and sorted.

Baring in mind the other horses are not fed ad lib hay and a lot of times when I am at the yard as early as 5.30 am they do not have any forage left to eat and it is sometimes 10.30/11am before they get seen to ? Would you deem this unacceptable too ?

ihatework

Visit site
For me it’s unacceptable. But all too common on DIY.
On the weekends I might push it out to 8/8.30 but I’m still usually the first up.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yep I'm usually first on my yard too, between 6 and 7 usually. I am often the last to leave as well :p Everyone was finished and left for home by 4pm the other day... I feel guilty if I'm late, but I do often know in advance if I'm going to be delayed so put extra hay in the night before.

LaurenBay

Visit site
For me I wouldn't be happy leaving in until 11am. Latest I would get there is 9.30, but that is the odd weekend day. In the weekday mornings she was out by 8am.

Most yards have a 10am rule.

AFB

Visit site
I pay someone to turnout for this reason, I'm not an early bird and don't think it would be fair to make my horse work to my routine.

As such he's turned out around 6am and I'm happily snuggled up until it's time to get up for work.

OldieButGoodie

Visit site
I keep my horses at home. During the week when I'm not working from home they are fed and turned out at 5:30am and brought in at 5:30pm. If I'm working from home its turn out at 6:30am and brought in between 4/5pm. Weekends its turn out 8am brought in 4/5pm.

I don't think I could live with myself leaving them longer than 8am because they've usually ran out of hay by then.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I turnout about 7am during the week and 8.30 at the weekend. they come in at 3.30 during the week and about 5 at the weekends.

the last person on the yard does last nets, normally 7.30/8ish and the first person up does the feeds in the morning.

Oh and he always has a net of oat straw, so there's always something to nibble on, he will never eat the whole thing! but his hay will always be eaten

JJS

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7, so this is not an issue for me, but surely the real problem is not the time that people are turning out, but the fact they're leaving their horses without adequate forage? Whenever mine do need to be in, for box rest or some other reason, my golden rule is that this is never, ever allowed to happen.

Damnation

Visit site
Ours go out around 11am. I am up once a day at 5:30pm but they get morning haynets and feed at 7am, then out at 11am/12am. By the time we've mucked out etc they come in around 7pm/8pm.

Wouldn't dream of leaving them until 11pm or midday with nothing to eat :eek:

Annagain

Visit site
We have a system that works really well with the 6 horses that are all in the same field at our yard. In the week, 3 people do mornings. The other 3 get the horses in of an evening. This way they all go out roughly together between 6.30 and 7am and they all come in roughly together between 5.30 and 6pm. Two of the morning people have a day each in the week when they don't work so the other two turn them all out that day for the non-worker to have a lie in.

One of the morning people works a Saturday so puts them all out before work. That way, the rest of us who work all week have a day when we can have a lie in too if we want and the horses are sorted. We tend to go up at about 9, muck out, then grab the horses in to ride. They've been out since 6.30 so aren't a problem to catch. On a Sunday, whoever is there first turns them all out unless we have instructions not to. In reality, we're all there pretty early (normally about 8) and tend to ride together anyway.

They all have ad lib haylage and have plenty left in the morning other than the ponies. If they're going to be staying in there'll be a small haynet ready for them and whoever's there first will pop it in for them. We take it in turns to get them in on a weekend evening as we will all have been up once in the morning.

I love being on a yard where helping each other is part of the fabric of the place. Even on DIY, we only have to go up twice a day once every couple of weeks. Every other day, co-operation means once a day is doable. The horses all know where they stand and are really chilled. Nobody gets left out alone or goes without anything they need.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Have mine at home so not directly comparable but I turn out at any time in the morning from 5 to 8 (dependent on when I have to be at work, whether I'm riding and how lazy I'm feeling). They are in at night at about 7 and then one or two of them will be exercised between 8 and 9:30

wingedhorse

Visit site
Don't think turnout times are an issue, different horses get different working and turnout routines.

But I'd NEVER want a horse left for more than four hours without forage.

If needed, I would either give horse enough forage so was some left until were done in the morning.

Or leave a large trug of forage outside stable and arrange for first person on yard to pop it over the door (paying them or swapping future favours as needed).

wingedhorse

Visit site
Mine are currently out until about 8am and go back out about 2pm. But they always have hay in stable, and some left over, needs to be turned over every few days to refresh the hay! But are never in stable without hay.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Well mine are now at home (that sounds awesome! It's actually O/H work but we live there and so do horses!)
So I have the luxury of running out to feed and hay then can come back in for coffee and laziness!
When I was at a yard I'd be there at 8am usually.

Schollym

Visit site

When your horse is stabled at night what is your routine in the morning. How early do you see to your horse- muck out/feed/turn out?

We are having an on-going debate at the moment with what is an acceptable time to see to your horse when it has been in from 5pm or sometimes earlier the previous night.

I am always up early to see to my horse and turn him out/ feed etc. He is the first thing I think about when I wake up and I rush to get down to the yard to sort him out. I am an early bird and the latest I get to the yard is 8.30 am and still then this is very rare as like I said I want to get their and sorted.

Baring in mind the other horses are not fed ad lib hay and a lot of times when I am at the yard as early as 5.30 am they do not have any forage left to eat and it is sometimes 10.30/11am before they get seen to ? Would you deem this unacceptable too ?

We have been DIY for sometime and our girls are fed and turned out by 9.15 and depending on the season brought in between 3.30 and 5. We give them sufficient hay so they have a little left in the morning. Currently they are waiting by the gate. We are on a yard on own now but we were on a yard where some people were paying a lot of money for full / competition livery. The horses were fed about 8.30 but then the staff/ Yard manager would stop for coffee , check phones, muck out turn out and then the horses would get hay. They were fed , skipped out in the evenings and get hay. These horses spent a lot of time without hay and when on shavings would eat droppings as they were desperate. They are now on straw so have something to fill their bellies. This was a ‘professional yard’ who were always careful to have it looking ok if they had visitors. It is noticeable the difference in horses that have been sold on, unfortunately the yard manager seems to equate thin with fit. The visit from a foreign vet to inject horses with injuries is a common occurrence. Unlikely to be legal though.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I don't think turnout time is the issue, horses have to fit in with owners' routines within reason but they certainly shouldn't be left without forage. Ours are at home, so I can see from my kitchen window if they have run out of hay and run across with a top up if necessary.

indie1282

Visit site
Very common in any yard ive been on unfortunately. Alot of people don't come up on a weekend un till gone 10am.

It's the forage I have an issue with too - in my block for the horses still in I will chuck a couple of slices over the door as they have always run out ( with owner's permission)

I'm on the yard at 6am in the week and 7.30 - 8.00 on a weekend but I always give extra hay on those days.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Every other week its about 7:30ish they go out but on the other weeks its about 7:45/8am as i have t9 check my sisters youngster on the way to the yard.

Mine come in about 4:30pm. One isnt botheres but the other stands at the gate screaming to come in from 3ish.
They both have adlib hay to they are quite happy in.

Smooshy

Visit site
Maybe not the best example as I am on an assisted DIY/ full livery yard.

The yard as a whole is fed between 7 and 7.30am, and given hay before turnout if necessary. Turnout starts around 8am with hay in fields when needed. Then all brought in together, time depending on time of year/ weather. Lunch/ haynets around 1 or in the stables ready if coming in later. Late nights are anytime around 8/9 pm, feeds/ haynets/ waters.

Mucking out is dependant on the owner. I muck out around lunch time after work (early shifts) during the week, weekends depending on plans. Some owners muck out in the evenings after work, so still 24hrs between. Full liveries in the morning.

Everyone will help out as needed, as we have people around coming and going throught the day/ evening. So if anyone needs extra haynets put up (mostly the good doers, everyone else is on adlib), they all have minimal time without forage.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the essay

BSL

Visit site

Nope, not acceptable. So common now adays. In my opinion, horses are not just a pet. If an owner can't put in the hours themselves, then they should pay someone else to help. Too many take on an animal without realising the care, time and commitment needed. Seen it happen so often over the years, really makes me cross, (sorry:) ).

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i feed at 7, ride at 8 and turnout at about 9, they come in at about 4,30 and have a feed and very big haynets and there is usually a little left in the morning..

chocolategirl

Visit site
Ours is a DIY yard and EVERY horse is fed by 6.30am every morning by whoever gets to the yard first (usually me or one of 3 others) most if the other liveries have never been there early enough to serve breakfasts! I’m like you OP, my horses are the first thing I think about when I wake, and I can’t wait to go out and make sure they’re are all ok. I usually do a night check between 9 and 10pm, occasionally a bit earlier or later, but I like to top mine up with haylage so I know they’ve got plenty. I like to make sure they don’t go more than 4 hours max with nothing. In winter I’d say 90% of the horses are out by 7.30am as I turn quite a few out. They come in by 4.30-5pm unless the weather is really bad and they’re waiting at the gate.

WandaMare

Visit site
Mine are always turned out by 7.45 at the latest, usually before 7 unless I have had a late night. They have their evening haynet at 7.30 to 8 pm so they have forage most of the night. If I needed to get to the yard later I would pay someone to feed and turnout for me early. I don't think the situation you have described is fair on the horses at all, no.

little_critter

Visit site
Mine go out at around 7:15am on a weekday, and come in at about 6:15pm. Weekends I allow myself a lie in and generally get to the yard around 9am, but I make sure I give extra hay Friday / Saturday nights to tie them over.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I used to turn mine out at 11 sometimes. But since they didn't come in till midnight / 1am, they got a better deal than many turned out at 8 and brought in before dark. That was a private rent though, and I was working wonky hours.

Mine are out 24/7, but on a yard with other horses doing normal hours, I aim for 8/8.

Bertolie

Visit site
I'm on a DIY yard and my horses go out anytime between 9 and 11am. All horses on yard get a morning feed around 7am and a haynet put in about 7.30am. My mare needs to lose weight so is on restricted soaked hay and I am under no illusions that her hay lasts all night but she can't have ad lib. She is on straw though and can nibble her bed if she gets peckish. Not ideal but the best i can do.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I get there by 9 30 latest when in, but they have 2 or 3 large haynets, licks and toys so they are not without something to eat or do. I've always given ad lib forage, and can never understand why someone wouldn't, if the horse is overweight or lamintic just soak the life out of the hay and use a tiny holed net? My friend's laminitic pony got one slice a night, and it was gone in 15 mins :( and he was always poorly. I used to triple soak and rinse the hay for the severe laminitic under my care, and he never went poorly again. Hate the thought of them standing with nothing to eat. Fortunately my YOs are very reasonable and allow us to turn out all night, as long as we help re seed and harrow the field in the spring . I know someone who's turn out can be anywhere up until 1pm, but I suppose it's an improvement on the poor horses nearby who haven't seen a field for years! (owners say they will run around and get injured... not enough time to pick apart that statement!)

Michen

Visit site
Mine is turned out any time between 5.30am- 9.00 am but is never without forage, always fed ad lib as much as he can eat. I wouldn't leave him any later than 9am but frankly I think it's good for him not to have a strict routine where he's expecting to go out etc etc.