Turn out woes😔

meleeka

Visit site
You bought a field? So you don't have to turn your horses out with others, and you can feed hay if you wish, so they aren't scrapping over resources?
If that's the case, it's just bloody lazy not to turn the poor sods out daily

Allowing your horse to be a horse only once a week when you have the facilities to provide more is just plain cruel 😡 Can you imagine crating a dog and only taking it out for a walk once a day and thinking that’s ok? Even rescue centres have the equivalent of turnout pens. There’s also a big difference between a day here and there and weeks on end.

GTRJazz

Visit site
I have been around large yards for many years and what happens in the real world is this, lots of people when their horses are out don't even bother looking at them once a day. Riding once a week if that, but lots lunging before getting on. Most I would say then just ride a few laps of the school. Come winter they all hide, in and out as quick as they can.
Must not forget my pet hate letting their horse run out of hay half an hour after feeding because they did not put enough in the net to feed a rabbit. a sure way for a horse to get ulcers
Now some posters on here visit three times a day and ride for three hours every night which is commendable but not the norm.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Two wrongs don't make a right...

Just because some other owners are also a bit lazy and leave their horses in the field and don't ride very often, doesn't mean it's acceptable to leave your horses in their stables for 6 days in every week, with only whatever limited work you can be bothered to give them and no normal interaction with others of their own species...

Do you know what my pet hates are, GTRJazz? I hate to see obese horses. I hate to see horses stuck in stables, bored witless, with no real work to keep them fit, healthy and happy. I also hate to see horses in saddles that don't fit, ridden and schooled by people who don't know their arse from their elbow, but blame other people for their poor performance... Any of that seem familiar to you?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I have been around large yards for many years and what happens in the real world is this, lots of people when their horses are out don't even bother looking at them once a day. Riding once a week if that, but lots lunging before getting on. Most I would say then just ride a few laps of the school. Come winter they all hide, in and out as quick as they can.
Must not forget my pet hate letting their horse run out of hay half an hour after feeding because they did not put enough in the net to feed a rabbit. a sure way for a horse to get ulcers
Now some posters on here visit three times a day and ride for three hours every night which is commendable but not the norm.
It sounds like you're using others bad habits to defend your own.
As you say you've no experience of ulcers; yes standing for hours without hay is a no, no but so is lack of turnout.

Reactions: TPO

GTRJazz

Visit site
Two wrongs don't make a right...

Just because some other owners are also a bit lazy and leave their horses in the field and don't ride very often, doesn't mean it's acceptable to leave your horses in their stables for 6 days in every week, with only whatever limited work you can be bothered to give them and no normal interaction with others of their own species...

Do you know what my pet hates are, GTRJazz? I hate to see obese horses. I hate to see horses stuck in stables, bored witless, with no real work to keep them fit, healthy and happy. I also hate to see horses in saddles that don't fit, ridden and schooled by people who don't know their arse from their elbow, but blame other people for their poor performance... Any of that seem familiar to you?
I see it all the time angry over competitive people yelling and carrying on, blaming not other people because they know too much to ask others, but their own horse. Does that sound familiar to you

JFTDWS

Visit site
I see it all the time angry over competitive people yelling and carrying on, blaming not other people because they know too much to ask others, but their own horse. Does that sound familiar to you

Nope, can't say I've ever blamed my own horse, because I train them all myself, so the only person to blame would be myself. I'm certainly not "competitive" either. So either you've completely misunderstood my last post, or you're just shooting in the dark - and you're not striking very lucky that way.

charlie76

Visit site
I try and get my liveries out as much as possible, however, following the snow and then torrential rain , the land ( sand based) was sodden. We put them out and the galloped up and down the fence line wanting to come back in! They have been in for 2 weeks now and went out today for about 5 hours, that was enough for them. None of them are upset, stressed or wild without turn out. They go in indoor for a roll and on the walker and they are all totally fine.

meleeka

Visit site
I try and get my liveries out as much as possible, however, following the snow and then torrential rain , the land ( sand based) was sodden. We put them out and the galloped up and down the fence line wanting to come back in! They have been in for 2 weeks now and went out today for about 5 hours, that was enough for them. None of them are upset, stressed or wild without turn out. They go in indoor for a roll and on the walker and they are all totally fine.

I’m guessing it’s the hay they wanted to come in for, not the confines of their four walls. Mine live out with stables open. They are pretty wimpy with the weather and when it’s horrible they don’t venture out in the field for days. They’ll pretty much stay where the food is. They do however interact with each other.

I don’t see a problem with keeping in when the weather is vile, but again, a big difference to having the facilities and choosing not to use them. Letting them in the school for a leg stretch is good and I suspect is what stops them getting stressed with the situation.

windand rain

Visit site
They gallop about because they havent been out for hours, living out you may see them run a few yards if something spooks them or babies in play but you wil never see galloping about just to get to a certain point. They are habitual animals depend on having food available at all times and are pretty lazy about finding it. Of course it is easier to eat tons of hay than to mooch about and find it. I prefer to have someone cook my tea and hand it to me on a plate than having to get up to make it
It far better for ignorant people abandon their horses in a field than to leave them in a stable for days on end because they cannot be bothered to take mud off them

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
"It far better for ignorant people abandon their horses in a field than to leave them in a stable for days on end because they cannot be bothered to take mud off them"

Neither is remotely acceptable. The very worst neglect/abuse cases I have dealt with were horses abandoned in fields.

windand rain

Visit site
Sorry wasnt saying abandoning was acceptable just that at least they can find something to eat and move about. I have seen far more damage done when horses are left reaching the ceiling in there own muck, with feet that turn up and sores all over their skin in a stable. The advantage on a livery yard is that there is usually more than one person about to sort it stabled or field kept. I also didnt mean total abandonment which is never acceptable but in terms of normal humans laziness

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm pleased I seem to occupy a real world that is very different to your GTR. Thank goodness.

Me too. Except that (if GTR hasn't deduced it) there's actually quite a lot of overlap between my real world and his - so I'm fairly sure his excuses are just that, and not actually a representative description of how most people keep their horses in this part of the world...

GTRJazz

Visit site
ester and JFTD you both would have liked the spectacle of my horses out this morning the Hackney cross with his tail curled like a Arab snorting and carrying on, in competition with my RID jumping the soft ground between the gates at a gallop as they have done at hunts.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
ester and JFTD you both would have liked the spectacle of my horses out this morning the Hackney cross with his tail curled like a Arab snorting and carrying on, in competition with my RID jumping the soft ground between the gates at a gallop as they have done at hunts.

If my horses start galloping around the fields they get their feed cut and work stepped up.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm not sure why you think I'd enjoy watching your horses behave stupidly because you've deigned, for once, to turn them out...

I have my own horses to watch in the field, and it's a pleasure to watch them negotiating life sensibly and confidently the vast majority of the time.

GTRJazz

Visit site
I'm not sure why you think I'd enjoy watching your horses behave stupidly because you've deigned, for once, to turn them out...

I have my own horses to watch in the field, and it's a pleasure to watch them negotiating life sensibly and confidently the vast majority of the time.
Sounds a blast but good to hear its only for the majority of the time.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Selective blindness, or do you just ignore the bits you don't like? *vast* majority - they certainly don't dick around jumping wet patches or galloping about like idiots...

windand rain

Visit site
I have just had a foal delivered she will live out, even she doesnt dick about galloping mindlessly and likely to cause injury to herself or others she mostly mooches about eating and interacting with her new friend until she sees us then she gallops up to say hello. She is calm and easy to lead and is a very happy pony. Her field mates are also out 24/7 they do not gallop about and my fields look like bowling greens for about 11 months of the year I think the state of the land shows just how little titting about they do. I suggest you dont put them in ever again as they would be much happier

GTRJazz

Visit site
All of the horses where we are charge around and look like they will not stop before hitting the fences even the ones that live out, they are bred for competition not everyone's ride.

windand rain

Visit site
Owned everything from Race horses to small ponies none of them have behaved any differently they are all calm and contented living out 24/7 it is only if they have to be in for any reason that they run about. Of course they would all run about if some were out and the ones that have been in are running about they are herd animals if All were out it wouldnt happen. I did have showjumpers and eventers in high grades so I do kow what happened with mine they competed BSJA as it was and British eventing at 1* it was a lot of years ago but not much has changed except the cruelty involved in not turning out horses or not exercising them sufficiently When in full work mine lived in at night and out during the day in winter and out 24/7 during the summer. They were worked at least two hours a day and were lean and fully muscled

be positive

Visit site
All of the horses where we are charge around and look like they will not stop before hitting the fences even the ones that live out, they are bred for competition not everyone's ride.

I have had plenty of horses here that were bred for competition/ racing, most were competing at the time at various levels including up to advanced eventing, they generally went out in the fields without going crazy, other than a few minutes at a time, because they did get out most days and were worked appropriately, being bred to compete does not mean they have to be kept shut in but if they are in a lot of the time they will require enough work, physically and mentally, to keep them relaxed and happy.
If they are shut in for safety reasons I would think they are not working hard enough and need to release energy when they go out so the poor things end up shut in even more so the situation get worse, if all the horses behave this way it is the management that needs looking into not finding reasons to justify why they are kept this way.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ah it’s cos we don’t know people with horses bred for competition I see. JFTD that’s why yours is ok, she looks like she can stop because, well she’s good at that.

If mine were standing at the gate to come in because the grass wasn’t interesting I’d put hay out.

They will occasionally have a short lived play but not that often, if it were normal I’d think they needed more work or turnout as they aren’t out 24/7

Last edited:
Reactions: TPO

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one who has horses that have a good gallop at least once a day, even when out 24/7 then?

Dad gets grumpy enough as it is 🤣. Even when it is pointed out that the field is there for the horses not for tapping golf balls about

Obviously with the track there’s not need to brake hard 😀

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one who has horses that have a good gallop at least once a day, even when out 24/7 then?
Mine too. A blast of the zoomies now and then does them the power of good, as long as they keep at least part of their brain in gear whilst they do it.

Just before dawn is a popular time. Also as soon as the ground thaws after a hard frost. On frozen ground, they mince round carefully and sensibly, but once it thaws, there are pent up zoomies to be had. Quite frankly, I'd rather they get that silliness out of their system loose in the field than when I'm trying to work them!

Luckily no one here plays golf :cool:.

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
Mine love a good hoon. Some of them even bounce of the fences (or jump them). Maybe it's because they are, pretty much without exception, bred for competition/former competition horses!
Most of them are also anybodies ride, because they are well mannered/schooled (and not cooped up in their stables 24/7!!)