Turned down by a rescue ...

Smitty

Visit site
because I would take the dog up to the stables and it may get trampled on and would not like walking around a muddy field.

I am retired, live on my own in my own house with a secure garden, have a little friendly neutered, injected etc etc terrier, who sleeps on my bed and would love a friend. Sadly nobody calls, no grandchildren or anything, never go on holiday, my dog is with me most of the time or asleep on my bed, what more could they want???

To be blunt, I'm getting on a bit and my 8 yo jack x pat looks at me after a 2 hr walk and wants to know what we are doing next, so to fulfill his evident desire for a friend and my dread of ending up with no dog if something were to happen to him, I have been looking for a suitable little dog for ages, my criteria being short haired, lower energy levels, smaller and slightly younger.

I have always been an avid supporter of rescues, but have also looked at the dogs going for little or no money on Preloved, as I feel that being with me may be less awful than being a bait dog.

After much consideration, yesterday I applied for a 4 yo Chi x terrier in a rescue, filled out the form, spoke to the foster lady and was passed from pillar to post, with one lady in the rescue saying that as I took the dog to the yard (a large arable farm in the middle of the country where I walk round the fields without anybody trying to steal it or danger of attack by dogs owned by less desirable members of the community) it would probably by trampled on by horses or not like being in mud! Umm ....

Today I had a phone call from a very nice lady who said the fosterer would like it to go to a retired couple who stayed at home all day and be treated like a princess. My dog was asleep on my bed at this point after having had a substantial walk this morning. I give up.

Am I being overly sensitive? Meanwhile, if anybody knows of a little dog ...

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i tried to give a rescue dog a home, i wanted a lurcher, they wouldnt let me have one as i has guinea pigs in the house(secure in a cage on the table) if i kept the pigs outside they MAY consider letting me have a rescue dog but not a lurcher as they are obviously devils!!!!!! i finally bought a lurcher and my pigs survived till natural old age. being a retired person the dog came to the yard with me and had no interest in the pigs when she came home, all she wanted to do was eat and sleep!!!!!

it didnt help that the people at the rescue looked like they had only just left school and i was 60 and had owned dogs from childhood so i think i knew a bit more than them. its a shame that some rescues are so rigid as it sounds like you are a pretty perfect home to me....maybe try some smaller rescues, good luck

lurcherlu

Visit site
Google hounds first they are great and have lurchers of all shapes and sizes and also google scruples whippet rescue.... A whippet is almost terrier sized....

Camel

Visit site
Ridiculous! There are some sensible rescues though, my Mum wanted a dog after her old greyhound died, shes in her 70's and is full of good intentions to walk a dog ... but doesnt! She does have 3/4 acre of secure garden and is at home all day. She was totally upfront with our local rescue and 6mths ago took on a sprightly 17 year old corgi/poodle cross, they couldnt be happier! He follows her round the garden all day and comandeers her bed all night.

Have you tried dogsblog OP? There must be a million and one dogs that would be happier as, well, dogs in mud lol with you :) xx

twiggy2

Visit site
apply to different rescues, they all have their own guidelines that they follow.

I did a home check last week for an amazing, experienced home for a medium terrier, they ticked all the boxes and more-an hr later I got a call to tell me they had received an email from terrier rescue telling them they could not have a terrier because they had a cat-the cat lives in a different county where the lady of the house spends most of her time with work!!!

On investigation it was a different rescue I had done the home check for and the people loved the dog and took him home at the weekend after he had been cat tested and passed

Goldenstar

Visit site
My BIL and SIL where turned down for an adult rescue dog because SIL worked one hour a day at the local primary school ( literally attend of the street she was away one and half hours max ).
Experianced dog owners fenced garden one other dog some of these rescues are nuts.

Clodagh

Visit site
Of course it is much nicer for the dog to live all its life in kennels than ever have to deal with the slightest inconvenience (as though there ever was a dog who didn't like going out...it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.)
Off to preloved with you!

Patterdale

Visit site
Some of the stories you hear are just ridiculous.

OP you sound like you would give a dog a lovely home :)
Don't give up, perhaps try another rescue? And I would maybe write to the one who turned you down to register my disappointment of their policies, but that's just me...!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
We had the same - hubby wantd to replace his old patterdale bitch (lived to 17 years old) van dog. He's a farrier and his dog has such a fab life; lots of fuss, endless ratting expeditions, lots of exercise. The rescue said 'well apart from being in the van all day' what life will the dog have?'. Hubby didn't bother applying we got a private rehome instead. And some rescues wonder why they are full?!! He's ended up with a lovely pedigree Lhasa who has that very fancy haircut at the moment - 9 months old - he's a little cutie amd a hit with the customers.

Last edited:

Camel

Visit site
Of course it is much nicer for the dog to live all its life in kennels than ever have to deal with the slightest inconvenience (as though there ever was a dog who didn't like going out...it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.)
Off to preloved with you!

Was this aimed at me Clodagh?

Smitty

Visit site
Cheers all! Would love a lurcher, sister had one many years ago who did chase our neighbours ducks and had a police warning, but it was our retreiver who nearly had sister's caged hamster and a farm collie from across road who killed my kitten and caged guinea pig! Many many years ago now and cages built by dad so probably not that secure but you really cannot generalise with breeds and whose to say that because its a chi x it won't want to get muddy?? My pat x jack looks the other way if a mouse runs in front of him but a cav that my ex and i had was a good mouser.

And just as if i would risk it getting trampled on ...

Anyway, will press on. Sister has a rescued greyhound but its too big to tuck under my arm so will try dogsblog for something that weighs under 8kg, short haired and doesn't mind fields.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Where abouts are you OP, some rescues have ridiculous criteria for rehoming and quite frankly I dont know how they rehome any. I foster for a local rescue to me and you sound ideal for several dogs of theirs.

Hexx

Visit site

Smitty

Visit site
Where abouts are you OP, some rescues have ridiculous criteria for rehoming and quite frankly I dont know how they rehome any. I foster for a local rescue to me and you sound ideal for several dogs of theirs.

I'm in bridgwater and have looked at all the local rescues, but none seem to have what i'm after. Ironically, i fostered a young yorkie for a local rescue a couple of years ago and was a little concerned that the people who adopted him were a retired couple with a somewhat sedentary lifestyle.

Jingleballs

Visit site
And this is why the dog homes are always packed to bursting and they are constantly appealing for food/blankets.

Bloody idiots - when will they realize that it is perfectly possible to leave your dog - even a rescue dog - for a few hours a day without it dying/becoming depressed etc.

Makes me so angry!!!! OP - it sounds like you could offer a wonderful home and I hope you get something sorted soon!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
because I would take the dog up to the stables and it may get trampled on and would not like walking around a muddy field.

I am retired, live on my own in my own house with a secure garden, have a little friendly neutered, injected etc etc terrier, who sleeps on my bed and would love a friend. Sadly nobody calls, no grandchildren or anything, never go on holiday, my dog is with me most of the time or asleep on my bed, what more could they want???

To be blunt, I'm getting on a bit and my 8 yo jack x pat looks at me after a 2 hr walk and wants to know what we are doing next, so to fulfill his evident desire for a friend and my dread of ending up with no dog if something were to happen to him, I have been looking for a suitable little dog for ages, my criteria being short haired, lower energy levels, smaller and slightly younger.

I have always been an avid supporter of rescues, but have also looked at the dogs going for little or no money on Preloved, as I feel that being with me may be less awful than being a bait dog.

After much consideration, yesterday I applied for a 4 yo Chi x terrier in a rescue, filled out the form, spoke to the foster lady and was passed from pillar to post, with one lady in the rescue saying that as I took the dog to the yard (a large arable farm in the middle of the country where I walk round the fields without anybody trying to steal it or danger of attack by dogs owned by less desirable members of the community) it would probably by trampled on by horses or not like being in mud! Umm ....

Today I had a phone call from a very nice lady who said the fosterer would like it to go to a retired couple who stayed at home all day and be treated like a princess. My dog was asleep on my bed at this point after having had a substantial walk this morning. I give up.

Am I being overly sensitive? Meanwhile, if anybody knows of a little dog ...

I had this with the RSPCA

one question was :

Where would the cat be in the day time?

I said out on the yard

Oh so the cat would kill mice then??

i said- yes

Sorry we wont re-home cats to kill mice.

stupid RSPCA>(

madmav

Visit site
Long time ago I applied to a cat charity to adopt. Lived in house with garden, quiet, cul-de-sac road. Was turned down on the phone, without even being seen, because I also had children under five. Cat I subsequently acquired rather liked those children. They liked her, too.

pootleperkin

Visit site
I was turned down by rescues just over 15 years ago when I wanted a pair of lurchers. At the time, I lived in a flat on my own with a small communal garden by the sea. As rescues wouldn't look at me, I went off and bought two pups who have been my faithful companions ever since. They were walked morning, lunchtime and evening and slept the rest of the time. For the past 10 years we have lived in the country, with our own land and the dogs couldn't be happier. I lost Ollie earlier this year, but Jack is still going and enjoying life with his 4 doggy companions at the age of 15 and a half. Rescues should assess the person and not always the circumstances - if dogs are loved and well cared for they are super adaptable !

Pamfyson

Visit site
Try your local council pound. they are less rigid than other rescues in my experience. You sound as if you are offering a lovely home. some of the rescues are their own worst enemies, they really are

lexiedhb

Visit site
Dont give up after one rescue. Sounds like the fosterer does not want to let the little princess dog go IMO, and the rescue should be giving them a kick up the butt to either adopt said dog or allow it to go to a good home when it comes up.

Smaller local rescues are often better with difficult circumstances, although in your case you sound like the ideal home for any dog!!!

asmp

Visit site
I won't donate to the Blue Cross after they refused to let us have a cat as my husband is in the Forces. We went to another charity instead and still have Charlie 14 years later. He's lived in many homes, including 2 years in Germany with us. He's happily settled in his new homes as long as he's with us.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
OP, I home check, foster and have adopted for Scruples Whippet rescue. I have my own gorgeous Scruples whippet to keep my bedlington company. I have homechecked people who have far far less to offer a dog than you have, and I have approved them for a rescue whippet. I have no garden, I was homechecked and passed. I take my dogs to the farm with me everyday, both the rescue whippet and my bedlington come and help me check the cattle, the sheep and my horses. Some rescues are realistic and accept the fact that you have a life, and your dog will have a wonderful life. Whippets are fantastic, mine is a tough little lady, she will run like the wind for 20 mins, and will then sleep for 20 hours :) She is easy to train, a joy to have around and an absolute bundle of fun. My Bedlington adores her. If you want to PM me I will tell you the process for getting a Scruples homecheck, It may even be me that does it :) And talk you through the process of getting a dog to foster or adopt. Scruples are always looking for foster carers, and it is a wonderful thing to do.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
It's awfully frustrating to hear these stories - dogs that won't be rehomed to people who have (even a very part time) job. I wonder if those rescues take in to consideration that a dog that spends 24/7 with a human becomes overly bonded and then the time the dog has to go for an overnight stay at vets and / or looked after by someone else while owner goes on holiday (or gasp, a kennels) that the dog is even more stressed because the person they see 24/7 is suddenly no longer there? Winds me up a bit.

Luci07

Visit site
Please try another rescue. Smaller ones are often more realistic and your home sounds perfect. Actually worth trying Battersea as well. I work full time and have had 2 of mine via welfare. They were happy with the plans I had in place and I have now had 3 dogs through them. My last Stafford sort of bypassed the system as met the owner when fundraising.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I would agree, try other rescues. Both mine came from Greyhound Gap - they are very realistic about placing dogs but with an emphasis on the right dog in the right home.

You could also try Cinnamon Trust http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/home.php A friend has recently received a dog through them as a companion to her terrier and found it a very good experience.