Turning out after injury

Amaretto

Visit site
Need some advice really. Pony has had a minor sprain and is now sound after a week of box rest.

I know that when it comes to turning him out again he will turn himself inside out and leap around like a box of frogs which I clearly don't want!

My plan is to keep him in for the time being and bring him into work slowly so as not to aggravate what was there. Was thinking about turning him out in a small paddock having given him some sedalin next weekend for a bit whilst I can keep an eye on him.

Going to speak with my vet tomorrow, who came to check him yesterday, but I didn't think to ask all these questions at the time as I was just too pleased that my boy was okay! However, I'd be grateful for any sensible advice on how to deal with this situation. Thanks!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
When my yearling was turned out after box rest due to an injury, the Vet sedated her and we pushed/pulled her from the stable to the field. She slowly came round and went 'ooh grass' and started to eat. :) It was great - no hooly at all and she was back out 24/7 after that.

Izzwizz

Visit site
I had this scenario with my mare when she had been on months of box rest with a tendon injury. Towards the end of the time in she was ridden but stabled so was fit too. I was advised to slightly sedate, turn out in a field with not a lot of grass so she had to forage (she is very food orientated), if there had been lots of grass it would have been easy for her to grab a mouthfull and run about. I was also advised to turn her out slightly hungry so she would have her nose to the floor. Finally, she went in a normal sized field as it was felt that in a small area she would risk re-injuring herself doing tight turns if she did decide to have a run about.

Hope this helps.

Fidgety

Visit site
Make sure he's hungry beforehand (disclaimer - I'm not saying starve him first! :eek:). Turn him out before you'd normally feed or hay him so that he's hopefully more inclined to eat than go for a buck and f@art. I'd also be inclined to wander slowly to down to the field and try to encourage him to snatch mouthfuls on his way if possible in order to get his head switched into 'eating mode' beforehand. Good luck, I'll (hopefully) be doing the same with my pone over the next few days too. :)

luce1

Visit site
my boy had 3.5 months in the stable earlier this year and was sedated (on sedalin) for 2 weeks when he went out.. he still goes in a small paddock now but still every morning goes mental when going out! does lots of bucks and gallops around for bit... cant even get the head collar off! he has to have a special quick release lead rope hehehe not sure when he will stop this!!! bless him!

Bionic Boy

Visit site
My plan is to keep him in for the time being and bring him into work slowly so as not to aggravate what was there. Was thinking about turning him out in a small paddock having given him some sedalin next weekend for a bit whilst I can keep an eye on him.

Totally spot on with that. Mine was the same - yes he will go silly but you have to let him get on with it. My advise on top of this is hide round the corner when you have put him out so you can't see it :D