Turning out in boots

vicm2509

Visit site
I just wondered which boots are best to turn out in? He is out 24/7 and comes in for about 2hrs a day. I would like to keep him booted up while out and at the moment have neoprene splint boots on his front legs, is it ok to keep neoprene boots on for this length of time?

If it isnt can anyone let me know which material is best? The boots are mainly for protection as he is turned out with a lot of other horses and they are quite often seen galloping around. Subsequently he delveloped a splint and I would like to preotect him for getting any more or any other type of injury.

brightmount

Visit site
If your horse is small or medium-wide then Equestrian Clearance have Equi-chaps at £29.99. They are only suitable for 12 hours at a time though, but they have pimples to help breathability.

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/perl2/v2.cgi?page=/templates/details.html&productid=34572

My vet isn't a fan of turning out in boots and I guess he should know. I did turn out for about 8 hours in sports medecine boots when my horse first went out after 6 months box rest for an injury, but on the whole I prefer the leg to function as nature intended as boots can offer too much support and weaken the tendons over time if the horse is otherwise healthy.

vicm2509

Visit site
Thank you for the advice. I think I will abondon the boots then. I only put them on to stop him knocking his splint but I did intend to keep them on to prevent any further injury. But from the advice given it may be better for him to go without.

I am looking into getting some of those equi-chaps for the winther though. He gets quite bad mud but will only be turned out for 8 hours so I think it may be worth the money
smile.gif