Turning out in over reach boots and/or chaps

fruity

Visit site
So i am now ultra paranoid about my beloved new horse since in the first 2 wks i got her she caught her back legs in fencing kicking out at a horse the other side of her field fence. Back legs are getting better on bute and abx and are now ok to just have cream on and no dressings,thank fully we're pretty sure hair will grow back and you'll never know she did it,she was a very lucky girl!
She does seem to stand on her own feet sometimes and since the accident she has been out in over reach boots and has been through 2 pairs in less than a week! They def help protect her as you can see where they've got chunks out of them saving her precious feet! Question is would she be ok to have them on all the time,she comes in twice a day for an hour at a time for feeding and grooming and has them off then,legs groomed and checked,feet picked out and then they go on again. I've just bought some Equilibrium hardy chaps also as the aim was for her to be a show horse really but as she isn't keen on being in for more than 3 hrs (she's 3 in june) i think i've just got to be realistic and deal with the fact she may well do a injury which will effect her chances in the ring. She will also do rc everything and low level eventing hopefully but want to do CHAPS classes with her so hope to prevent injuries as much as i can. Would love to hear the regime you do with yours if you put leg protection on for turnout.

Lintel

Visit site
Gosh.. she is some destroyer of boots! - Could she not be put somewhere she would be more settled? But then again- some of us have mental horses that wreck everything :rolleyes:
A girl I used to know had a TB, a tiny 14.2hh! She was out in the field with another bigger mare and they were wild in the field.
Her's went out in - "Shires? I think :s Turnout boots- on all four legs (she also has back mud fever in the winter) And fabric bell boots on the front.
She also had a set of brushing/jump boots that she put on her if they had all been in a for a bit. Just to give her a little more protection again. They both were shod back and front.
She put her girlie out in them all day and rode her out without any sort of boots, on the hot summer days she wouldn't have any boots on for turnout.
She seemed fine in them- never really lost a boot or a chap and came in with four legs everyday thankfully! The only problem with the rubber bell boots was that the tended to rub a little on her fronts, but changing to the fabric greatly improved that!

All the best- I feel I have written a story :D :p

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Fabio costs me a small fortune in overreach boots for turnout!!! But if he doesn't have them on he pulls shoes off so the lesser of 2 evils!

I leave them on all the time, he's out 24/7. Take them off when he comes in and scrape the mud from the back. Never had any problems. :)

Escada2004

Visit site
i turn all of mine out in them as they have a habit of pulling shoes off all the time :eek: i tried the equilibrium chaps on my worst mare but to be honets they came in ripped to shreds and found as she was running around they slipped down! I spend a lot on over reach boots for turn out but have found neophrene ones seem to last a lot longer than rubber ones? My youngster also cuts her back legs to pieces as her backend is fat too active and she doesnt even have back shoes on at the moment! So she also has brushing boots on the back, i find them less bulky and more light weight than turn out boots :)