turning out on rubber arena

Oldred

Visit site
Has anyone ever experienced any problem (e.g horse trying to eat rubber!) of leaving horses on rubber chip arenas for long periods, e.g. overnight? Mine wouldn't be eating hay off the rubber, they have a shelter leading off the arena where their hay is laid out.

I thought about putting wood chips down as a surface but it can go very slippery I've been told.

Does anybody turn their horses out in winter into a rubber arena?

Many thanks.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
My new boy, who's most likely never seen a rubber school before, did try to eat the rubber the first couple of times I took him in, but he pretty much likes to sample everything he comes across!

I personally wouldn't leave ours out in our school overnight, but that's more because we don't want them digging up the surface than any worries about them eating it.

teapot

Visit site
We've had to turn a couple of horses out onto rubber either when we had the yard being redone so only place to put them before lessons (and were loose until tacked up)

and one horse used to go in there as he was prone to colic so after he was in over night, he'd be turned out into the arena