Turnout after boxrest

figgy

Visit site
Hi
I've got a 18month old that's been on boxrest since Jan after he had surgery.
I'm so worried about turnout, he has been had grazed only a few times as the last time I did it he turned himself inside out and fell over, it was dangerous for us both.
We have been hand walking 20mins a day.
Vet said when it drys up he can go in small paddock but I know he will go mad as he has always been with my other horse when out.
I'm thinking about a bigger paddock and putting both out, I will chat again with my vet before doing this but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated !! Thank you

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Could you put a small paddock inside a bigger one and have the other horse in the small paddock, with the other horse in the bigger one, so that they can see each other/communicate?
I would ask the vet if you can sedate him to put him out at first and try to have the paddock as close to the stable as possible, to avoid your having to lead him any distance.

Flicker

Visit site
You could try sedating him, turning him out and letting him come to. Ive done that or a horse whose been on box rest with an abscess before. It worked fine, she had a small mess about but was mostly pretty chilled.

figgy

Visit site
Thank you both... he is on Sedalin at the min to help with walking, I think if he was in small paddock with other horse on the outside he would do anything to get to him(such a strong headed boy)

be positive

Visit site
You need to take a sensible approach which may not be the ideal in your vets opinion but it has to fit in with what facilities you have and your knowledge of the individual, I sedated 1 and turned him out 24/7 with another fairly quiet horse as I knew he would never settle alone, would go over or through electric fencing in a panic after being on box rest for 4 months, he did go a bit mad once the sedative wore off but because he stayed out it was not a daily occurrence and he settled down well.
With a youngster you are more at risk of them panicking if they feel alone so I would definitely set up a suitable paddock and put them out together, it may be that over time they can be separated but now is not the time to try.

Flicker

Visit site
An instructor of mine also uses a ‘maze’ set up in the paddock when she turns out box rested horses at her yard. Think about when you’re queuing at the bank or airport check in, it’s the same concept. They are out, but can’t get up any kind of speed because of the way the barriers are arranged. She says it’s a bit of a faff to set up (she uses electric fencing), but has worked for her with a hunt horse with suspensory damage who was turning himself inside out in the box.

frostyfingers

Visit site
With mine I put him in a roundish pen in one corner of a larger area, with his mates out. None of them were fed beforehand and there was a decent amount of grass. The first time he went out, I grazed him in hand for a bit then quietly unclipped the rope but stayed in the pen - he was also mildly sedated for the first couple of days. Make sure the day you pick is warm, dry and not windy (!), and if you have any say over the other horses then have them turned out after exercise or similar so they’re not all revved up as well. It’s not easy, good luck!

figgy

Visit site
Thank you all !!!
Unfortunately I know he will run through electric fence to get to my other horse that's why I'm thinking about putting them both in larger paddock.
I'm definitely going to wait till a nice day comes along.

Clodagh

Visit site
I had the same problem as you. I made a small paddock (not tiny, sort of small arena sized) and turned him and his companion friend out together. He did have sedalin first but I was worried about that making him more likely to fall over. He did one short run and then stopped and they grazed, it was OK. He had been able to interact with his friend anyway, as they had pens in front of their looseboxes so they could wrestle and scratch each other during box rest.

mandyroberts

Visit site
Lots of sedalin! You must know how much he needs from walking him and give him a bit more. Mine had 5mls sedalin for 1 st turnout - he is 15.2hh. My other horse is more susceptible and although a bit bigger only had 2mls for 1st turnout.

figgy

Visit site
I have lots of sedalin, he has 3ml for walking but he also had 3ml when I hand grazed him and he turned himself inside out and fell over.
He is so head strong and will fight anything if he don't feel safe.
Thanks for advice.

mandyroberts

Visit site
The trick is to give it to him when he his calm (if there is a time). I found a massive difference if I gave when calm as opposed to already twitchy waiting for his walk. My 15.2hh was up to 13ml per day when on box rest and still pretty awful.....