Turnout boots

noblesteed

Visit site
My horse is recovering from an op in August and is allowed out in the field now. The vet advised me to bandage the affected leg to ride which I have been doing.
I have been putting him out in a premier equine sports boot but he has destroyed it! The neoprene has all come away from the velcro fabric and it's gone all baggy. So I think I need to invest in turnout boots. The other problem is that the YO is fed up of putting his boot on to turn him out on a morning and doesn't want to do it any more, and I am worried it's not being doen properly. It's not a large yard and she turns them out as a favour - it's a very laid-back set-up but suits my semi-retired horse. I can't go up on a morning on some days as I have to take my son & baby to school/childminders etc and get to work by 8. Would it be ok to leave him overnight in turnout boots if I got 2 pairs and swapped them over every evening?

Any ideas as to what type are the best for support? It's not a terribly muddy field.

be positive

Visit site
Boots are not going to support much, certainly something that gets left on for 24 hours will not offer support or if it does it will cause other issues such as pressure sores, hair loss, over heating or other skin problems, if he is fit enough to go out and be ridden then if the YO is not prepared to put a boot or bandage on before turning out then I would feel it safer to turn out with nothing on rather than risk damage through keeping something on for such a long period of time.

At the end of the day the leg supports itself and if it cannot do so then no bandage or boot will make much difference, except a medical type of bandage which will not be suitable for general day to day use.

Luci07

Visit site
I wouldn't put support boots on for the field. Now your boy has been out and isn't being silly, then I wouldn't bother. I have toyed with the idea of turnout boots for mine as he is struggling with mudfever but came to the conclusion that our walkway would render any such boots useless ...