Turnout for a Welsh Cob

MagicMelon

Visit site
Would like recommendations of a winter turnout rug please for:

A 15.2hh Welsh Cob. Decently chunky but not massive. Big chest and butt! Will probably be clipped out (except legs and head) so needs something warm but not too warm as this horse never seems to get cold....! Obviously being clipped he'll needs a full neck but he has a welshie mane so it cannot rub. I have used Weatherbeeta's in the past (like Arions etc.) but find them a tiny bit tight across the chest on him. Rug also needs to be sturdy as he is a rug-ripper!

Thanks!

L

lilym

i know they're expensive but FAL rugs fit the chunkier type of horse well

RachelB

Visit site
I had my chunky Welsh Cob in a set of Mark Todds, they were FAB and never rubbed her. Good, tough rugs IMO (especially when she dragged hers under a tree and it ripped, but only a tiny bit!)
FALs I suspect would also fit chunky ones (like my chunky ID, but they're too expensive for me!)

tractorgirl

Visit site
I have a 15.3 Welsh cob and he's in a Rambo - the one with the high neck as he is clipped in winter too. He loves it, it doesn't rub him at all - not even his mane! And he hasn't broken it yet (in 3 seasons), unlike his stable rug, LW turnout, innumerable buckets etc that I could mention!!

star

Visit site
i couldn't get a rambo to fit my boy for anything. i bought his normal size and it was a good 6 inches away from doing up round his chest. if i pulled it forwards enough to do up it was 6 inches too short! been sticking to Fal's and Masta's since then. Just bought a Mark Todd, but needed a size bigger than usual to get the length needed from when i do it up round his front. he does have the most enormous stallion like neck and huge shoulders i've ever seen though!