Turnout / menage

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I'd appreciate people's opinions on this one.
I have limited turnout, and the turnout I have access to is 50% of the time alone, and I mean COMLETELY alone. No other horses within sight, but great paddock.

I've had a few people react in horror when I say this. I obviously wouldnt put something in there if it stressed at being alone. But am I asking too much in looking for a pony that doesnt mind being out alone during the day?

also, how deep does the base of a menage need to be? I'm going to use sand as it's cheaper, and it'll also be used as a starvation paddock or for when the field is too muddy for a couple of hours a day. I need to work out costs via how deep it needs to be. Also, what do i put under the sand? it's just soil at the moment.

filly190

Visit site
There is a fantastic book called "All weather surfaces for horses" by Ray lodge and Susan Shanks, that helps when building your own.

But firstly you need to think drainage channels, then hardcore, membrane then the surface. Sand on its own holds the water and can also freeze. The membrane is vital to stop stones coming up.

If you are going to utilise it for turn out, the usage would be termed as heavy because you cant control what the horses are going to be doing, ie rolling and mucking about.

Years ago I was on a small yard that used the menage for turnout when the fields were bad. One year, we used it for a whole winter and saved the fields (they were on a clay hill). This menage was home made and only sand used. I must say it faired very well. We poo picked it at weekends and raked it over. The horses had haynets dotted everywhere. There were three large horses on it.

As for for keeping a horse on its own. When we moved to our house, only our acre garden was grassed, the rest of the land had to be fenced and sown. I started with one horse, which I kept on half an acre in my garden for the first year.

She had never been kept alone and her previous owners were rather worried to say the least to how I would be keeping her. They are next door!

She settled immediately and I even strip grassed her around the rest of the garden using mobile electric fencing. People would ride by and even down our drive and she was fine.

I did exercise her a lot, twice a day hacks to keep her quiet, just in case and made sure she went out in company.

On completing our fields and introducing other horses, she did not seem any happier.

I firmly belive that you can keep one horse on its own, its how you keep it and what you do with it that matters. My horse had her daily company out riding which worked. When she was'nt ridden, our hedges are very high, so she could'nt see our neighbours, but she could whinny to them on occasion.

I think your plans are very achievable and sound sensible to save your grassing.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Mine doesn't care if she is on her own or has company. The only time she will stress is if her special gelding friend is brought in without her, if she comes in with him, even if she is then turned straight back out she is fine. Vice versa if she is brought in and he is out he will stress all the time she is being lead away (but is still in sight). Before he came to the yard, mine was in a paddock on her own all the time (only had horses next to her sometimes), then she never stressed, as she didn't have a special friend.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I regards to the paddock, it is hard to say how your horse will react to being out alone. although it does sound like it will only be for a short time each day. Some horses cope fine, others cannot be left at all. Although it is not an ideal situation, if that is your only choice then so be it. Is it your own feild? if so maybe get a small companion animal.
You can find some good info on building your own school on the web. Normally, a good drainage system is put in and then a membrane is put down underneath the sand. there is a certain type of sand recommended for schools also.
I would not put the sand straight onto dirt.
hope htis helps
Dawn

Weezy

Visit site
You could always get a sheep to keep the horse company
laugh.gif

pottamus

Visit site
My boy spent most of his life on his own before I got him, he then went to the dealer who I bought him from for 6 months and was with lot's of other horses during this time. I bought him and keep him on his own and he has been fine but then I work from home so I am around to ride every day and pop down to see him. He has never shown any concern at horses going by or being alone and does not even lift a head from eating when the hunt go past his field!!!! Saying that, for 8 months of the year he does have my neighbours horses to talk to over the hedge.
The only thing I found that was a negative to this was that he is and always has been quite anti social with regards other horses. He is extremly difficult ridden in company unless at the lead of the ride...I think in all honesty he gets quite stressed when thrown in company of other horses and reacts negatively as a consequence. I have had him 3 years now and he is still the same despite trying various methods to change the situation.
Can't help with the school...have not got a clue!

filly190

Visit site
Just adding to what I had already posted. A rather famous face in the world of show jumping (a good few years back) made their own menage by putting sand straight down ontop of grass. The menage still stands today, and they swore by it! I know this to be true, just in case folks are wondering.

Chex

Visit site
A lot of horses seem fine as long as they know the field. Chex is happy out by himself in the field, but if I bring him onto the yard (not very often) he gets very edgy and unhappy.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
It's not my field, and I suggested to YO that I might put old pony out with the calves, and he point blank said no. I might ask about a sheep or two, would certainly keep the grass from getting too lush.

Regards all the replies about the menage, what I have is a space not big enough to graze realistically. It's about 1/4 an acre. But it would be a handy enclosed space for the kids to ride in and to use for a 'leg stretch' on those days when the field is too wet.

Skhosu

Visit site
Make sure you put a membrane down, we didn't and are paying the price with stones coming up.
We dug a BIG hole and I think filled it with stones then sand on top.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Excavate and level and fence the site. Add drains, drains, drains and more drains. Cover them with suitable (angular, clean)drainage stone. Level and cover with a membrane. Put silica sand plus a fibre mixture on if you intend to turn out. Dry sand moves and you won't want the membrane compromised. Remove all poos (so perhaps not get a companion sheep!) as they shorten arena life mega lots. Paddocks are so useful for turnout as long as you have the right surface.