Turnout rugs with belly flap

Tash88

Visit site
Hi - I'm thinking about winter rugging and would love to find a turnout rug with a belly flap, like on most fly rugs, as I think this would be warmer and my horse wouldn't get so muddy! Do they exist anywhere?

Thanks, Tash x

peanut

Visit site
I had a wonderfully warm foal rug with a belly flap which fitted my pony (4'6") but I don't know if you can get them for horses.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I put a cotton sheet with a belly flap under turnout rugs. The belly flap has fastenings on both sides. I have 2 flaps and change and wash them regularly as mud is kicked inside. It works well.
I have seen turnouts advertised with flaps but can’t remember the brand.
I would guess a fixed flap on a turnout would get dirty inside and be more difficult to keep clean.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Just make sure of your size I bought a fly rug with belly straps usual size 6’6 fitted lovely except for 1st belly strap too big, 2nd belly strap fitted perfect, 3rd belly strap too small a bit like the three bears chairs?

Tash88

Visit site
Thank you all for the replies :)

@OldNag those rugs look great! Generously cut and reasonably priced too, I'll definitely think about getting one to try.

@Meredith - what is the brand of your cotton sheet with a belly flap? I don't think I've seen one of those either but that would be a good idea.

And I'll look for a Weatherbeeta Taka on ebay, shame they have discontinued it.

eggs

Visit site
And I'll look for a Weatherbeeta Taka on ebay, shame they have discontinued it.[/QUOTE]

What size are you looking for?

irishdraft

Visit site
Last year I bought an equitheme no fill turnout with a belly flap. It is a good rug from the point of view my retired horse wore it all winter & it didn't leak. The belly flap isn't a great design as it meets in the middle and the straps go across it so the flap tends to fall out of the straps which is a shame .

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
[USER=103512 said:
@Meredith[/USER] - what is the brand of your cotton sheet with a belly flap? I don't think I've seen one of those either but that would be a good idea.

Sorry I didn’t mention. It is home-made. I made it using binding and fastenings from old rugs and used a fly rug belly as a pattern.

TPO

Visit site
The Weatherbeeta Ultra cosy have sort of long middle bits which meet in the middle under the cross surcingles, haven't explained it very well, sorry!

Yip the weatherbeeta comfitec range have this. Longer sides that meet/overlap in the middle and 4 keepers for the surcingles, 2 each flap, so they fasten straight across instead of diagonally. Plus a nice big tail flap.

I've got a detachable neck but the comfitec fasteners to the rug all have loads of cover and there are extra fastenings from underside of neck to chest. They've done everything possible to eradicate gaps for the cold and wet to get in

Squeak

Visit site
I'm pretty sure my HW ones end up covering the stomach due to the cut of them. It probably wouldn't be quite as effective as a stomach flap but it would avoid the mud getting stuck issue. I'll pay attention this winter as to whether my horses come in with muddy stomachs or not...

Cragrat

Visit site
I have an old (5 ish years) Weatherbeeta Comfitec with the belly thing - it's very clever and effective. The rug itself has lasted really well, but although never laundered ( I wash the liners frequently but never the outer) it absorbs water rather than repels it and gets blooiming heavy. So I gave in and had it profressionally washed and proofed, but made no difference.

TPO

Visit site
I have an old (5 ish years) Weatherbeeta Comfitec with the belly thing - it's very clever and effective. The rug itself has lasted really well, but although never laundered ( I wash the liners frequently but never the outer) it absorbs water rather than repels it and gets blooiming heavy. So I gave in and had it profressionally washed and proofed, but made no difference.

I've not had that at all. Mine is 2yrs old and I love it.

Might be worth contacting Weatherbeeta because it might be a faulty rug?

Squeak

Visit site
I've not had that at all. Mine is 2yrs old and I love it.

Might be worth contacting Weatherbeeta because it might be a faulty rug?

I unfortunately had the same with a Weatherbeeta comfitec. Didn't seem the same quality that it used to be and I was really disappointed. When I contacted Weatherbeeta you have to have the rug laundered before sending it to them so seemed a bit of a faff, especially as I generally don't like laundering TO's.

Tash88

Visit site
Thank you all! I think rug weather is nearly upon us and my horse's paddock is already muddy (that's another thread, buying mud mats this year) so I'll look into all those options.

I've always rated weatherbeeta but haven't bought a new one for a while, shame that some of you think the quality is deteriorating as I wouldn't say the Comfitec ones are cheap.

TPO

Visit site
I loved weatherbeeta "back in the day" but I stopped buying them when their prices shot up. There was better value in the Horseware ranges.

However I was tempted back when a saddlery was selling MW comfitec on ebay for bargain prices new. I honestly love the rug. It pretty much ruined non stop all of last winter rom September until mid feb when it froze before the reinstated again until May. My horses were in a swamp more or less. This rug had been excellent. Super warm and because I'm a pathetic softie I love him being all wrapped up and the rug really does that.