Turnout

Pinkvboots

Visit site
OMG!! I'm so sorry everybody that is for two horses not one. This is what comes of posting just before I start work! My friend and I pay £1200 between us but it all comes out of my account, it's complicated lol my livery is £160 per week for my boy as I have him ridden once a week and lunged once a week. My friend is also in the same situation and just as upset as me.

Charlotte

That is still quite alot I pay £180 a week for my horse to go to a professional show producer where he is ridden at least 5 times a week, where are you in Herts we may be able to suggest somewhere.

SpringArising

Visit site
I have just realised that my horse has not been turned out for weeks on end and has been confined to his stable with only 1 hour per week work

How have you only just 'realised'? That is completely unacceptable.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Crikey. I'm on clay, not so far away - and my fields (which have been used, although not massively, all winter) are lovely at the moment. I've even ridden in them a few times...

And that sort of money? God no. Move. (Just to clarify - I mean £600pcm, not £1200 - that's just absurd!)

Last edited:

wench

Visit site
How have you only just 'realised'? That is completely unacceptable.
What if they have been away with work? Busy? Unable to visit horse due to health reasons, so no it's not "completely unacceptable". The horse is presumably on full livery, which should mean you never have to go down to stables unless you want to!!!

little_critter

Visit site
I'm nowhere near you but I've heard good things from friends of friends about Diamond Dressage (they do other livery too) I believe they are in Hearts.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Sorry but to keep your horse in for that period of time is total cruelty and is a welfare issue under the latest animal welfare act. Once you have left the yard I would contact the local BHS Herts Welfare Officer so that the yards activities can be further investigated and action taken against the person/people responsible.

SpringArising

Visit site
What if they have been away with work? Busy? Unable to visit horse due to health reasons, so no it's not "completely unacceptable". The horse is presumably on full livery, which should mean you never have to go down to stables unless you want to!!!

Actually, it is totally unacceptable.

To have a 29-year-old horse in a stable, 'who has not been turned out for weeks on end', and who 'is also very hungry' and showing signs of distress, is completely ridiculous.

It shouldn't matter what the circumstances are. The duty of care for the horse lies ultimately with the owner. This is the first thread that I actually thought was a genuine wind-up.

muckypony

Visit site

To have a 29-year-old horse in a stable, 'who has not been turned out for weeks on end', and who 'is also very hungry' and showing signs of distress, is completely ridiculous.

It shouldn't matter what the circumstances are. The duty of care for the horse lies ultimately with the owner. This is the first thread that I actually thought was a genuine wind-up.

Absolutely this.

MDB

Visit site
Regardless of how much you pay, my thoughts are that keeping a horse confined for weeks on end with no turn out and virtually no work is a matter of cruelty. I cannot even begin to imagine what state your horses mind must be in.

Bede

Visit site

I thought it was a wind-up too.
I wish it were, for the horse's sake

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Actually there are plenty of yards round here that close their fields at the first bit of mud but plenty that do offer at least every other day turnout even in the worst weather. Some are expensive, some are not. It's not always the most expensive that turn out the most

£600 pcm if it's 7 day full is not cheap but it's not expensive, there are a few nearer the £1000 mark too.

And I do have some sympathy for the poster, if you go to see your horse after work, even every day then you only have other people's word for how much turnout they are getting. It's not the first time I have heard of horses not being turned out and the owners lied to because yard didn't want the hassle of turning out and catching in through the mud and grooming after.

However I would move, if you give us an idea of roughly where you are I'm sure some of can suggest some alternatives.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I'm nowhere near you but I've heard good things from friends of friends about Diamond Dressage (they do other livery too) I believe they are in Hearts.

They are about to move from their current location to Sawbridgeworth so may be too far out now, their full livery is more than the OP is currently paying.

wench

Visit site

So what you are saying, if you can work away for weeks on end, like myself, you cannot have a horse, because you can't get to go and see it twice a day every day?

charlie76

Visit site
I don't think its unacceptable for yards to close turn out if the fields are very wet. However I do think it is unacceptable to not communicate that with the owner. I have restricted/ stopped them out for a few weeks due to it being wet and the horses being so keen to come in they are verging on dangerous. We have grass but they don't want to be out for some reason.
I talked to all my liveries and they all agreed with the decision. They are walked in hand and or exercised when in and hand grazed. They have a hay net am and after lunch and a treat ball mid afternoon. All the horses have been happy , relaxed and sane to ride. But communication is key.

SpringArising

Visit site
So what you are saying, if you can work away for weeks on end, like myself, you cannot have a horse, because you can't get to go and see it twice a day every day?

Where have I said anything remotely similar to that?

If you don't communicate with your YO to make sure that your horse is OK, or if you don't have complete trust in your YO to ensure that your horse is being looked after properly (or, in this case, simply ensure that the horse's BASIC needs are met), but chose to allow them to be the sole carer of the horse anyway, then come to think of it, no; I don't think you should have a horse.

But, going back to my original point; it is 100% not acceptable to leave a horse in 'for weeks on end' (to quote to OP) and to allow that horse to go hungry.

I can't see how anyone thinks that is acceptable TBH, and shame on those who do.

SO1

Visit site
Did they tell you there was all year turnout regardless of the weather when you moved to yard? If so and the circumstances have changed and they can no longer provide what was originally agreed then they should at least have had the decency to tell you, and that should happen regardless of the price, that is just about being a decent honest person.

With regard to the ad lib hay when you do go to the yard does your horse always have hay? Can you visit at a random time to see if he has hay? If he is only having one hour of light exercise a week and spending the rest of his time standing inactive in his stable and with ad lib hay you would expect him to a good weight or maybe even overweight!

If you horse is only coming out it's stable for one hour a week then that is totally unacceptable especially if the owner knows that you are unable to provide exercise yourself so are relying on them to provide the turnout and exercise. I find it hard to believe that a YO would think it was OK for your horse to only come out of their stable once a week for one hour {unless of course due to box rest}

I think you need to find somewhere else for your horse. There are yards in herts and the surrounding arrears that do full livery and have every day turnout. If you are not going to the yard that often can you consider yards a bit further out that might have more turnout. I pay a similar amount to you and my pony goes out every day and the yard is within a reasonable distance from London too.

I do feel sorry you as you probably put your trust in a professional who said they would provide a 5* service for your horse that would give you peace of mind whilst you were working and they have let you, your friend and your horses down.

I would be careful with retirement yards too I know someone who had a very bad experience on what looked like it was going to be a really lovely retirement yard and their horse ended up in very poor condition and it was not a cheap retirement place either.

I do hope you and your friend can find a more suitable place for your horses.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I felt like weeping when I read this post. On my yard horses go out every day and I mean EVERY day regardless as I truly believe this is the best possible way to keep horses. We spend a small fortune every spring repairing the 3 paddocks we use all winter but I don't care, I wouldn't have it any other way. I just couldn't keep horses in like this tbh. Even if mine have to have box rest I tape a tiny area off at least the size of the stable just so that they don't have to look at 4 walls all day. I think of stables as prisons, and I would hate to be in prison! If I were you OP, I would be out of there faster than you can blink. This kind of 'care' is detrimental to your horses health.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
My god - if I found out my horse had been in for weeks without even bothering to tell me I would go absolutely nuclear!!

And to the poster who said the owner should know - are you really suggesting that when your horse is on full livery you should have to call every morning to enquire as to whether they are planning on to feed/water/turnout today? If I had a child in boarding school I wouldn't expect to have to call up to check that they weren't planning on keeping them locked in their bedroom all day.

Suffice to say OP, I think you should find a new yard

only_me

Visit site
The OP can't change what has happened but is trying to work out to do next - so I don't understand all the stick she is getting. It's not the OPs fault that she hasn't been told about the fields being closed, and OP is trying to sort the problem out.

I have to say some of the comments that people have made on this thread makes me think twice about posting anything on the forum. If all people can offer on a thread looking for advice and help is judgement and criticism then what is the point in posting?!

I know a lot of yards here that don't turn out at all, but I wouldn't call it a welfare issue as the horses are well looked after in every other aspect. It may not be what you personally would choose to do but it also doesn't give you the right to criticise and turn your nose up at them.

Oh my horse lives out all year as much as he wants to (always has access to Stable) no matter what the ground is like. And we are on clay soil. So please don't think I'm defending OP etc. because I also keep my horse in - I'm defending OP etc. because some posters on HHO don't appear to realise that not everyone is able to turn out their horse or let them live out which doesn't make them into the devil!!

clawson

Visit site
Cripes! I only asked about turnout!! I haven't read all the replies but just to explain further. I had my horse on DIY with services from 1997-2012. I left my last yard because the services became very unreliable and, unfortunately, both myself and my husband work in London and cannot always get there to bring in, put out etc. The only yards I could find were full livery if I wanted individual turnout. He used to live in a herd but got kicked so badly he fractured a bone in his leg and I was advised by my vet that he wouldn't take another kick on that leg. I have been at this yard for nearly 3 years. The first couple of winters, including the awful one of 2013, all horses were turned out every other day. In between I paid for extra lunging so he had exercise on his in days. This winter I assumed they were being turned out every day as nothing had been announced on their website like the last couple of times. My husband, friend and I take it in turns to check on the horses nearly every day. Obviously the horses were in when we went down in the evenings, eating hay. The only reason we knew something wasn't right was because, as my boy gets mud fever very badly, he has around 6 sets of mud boots and when a set gets muddy they are taken home to be cleaned then taken back down. My husband noticed that when he took a set back that no others were getting dirty. When he enquired he was told the fields were too bad to turn out. It seems none of the horses have been out for weeks even on the sunny, dry, days. The ménage has been unusable for the last two weeks as well so I was unable to lunge or ride him. The lucky ones on the yard can hack their horses out but mine is not a safe hack even in company so that option isn't available to me.

I have now complained bitterly and have been promised that something will be done. However I have now lost trust and am searching for another yard maybe part livery (Monday to Friday) so I can get some control back.

Just for anybody who for one minute thinks that I don't care for my boy let me just say that I love him so much I put his needs way before mine and I was literally heart broken when I found out what had been happening.

I can assure you this thread isn't a 'wind up', who on earth would post about turnout as a joke? Good grief!!

Thank you to all that gave constructive feedback

Best wishes

Charlotte

clawson

Visit site
Sorry this was for two horses but £1200 comes from my account for both me and my friend. My livery is £160 per week, senior moment and stressed out at work! Can anybody tell me where the flipping edit button is?!! I can't edit my first post aaaaaarrrrgghhhh!!!!

Last edited:

WelshD

Visit site
You can only edit a post for about 15 mins after you've posted it sadly

I hope you sort your situation out to your satisfaction soon

McFluff

Visit site
Best of luck in finding a new yard. I completely understand your situation - there is a lot of trust on full livery, you have to rely on either seeing change in your horse or in the yard giving you a full update. I see my horse every day, but when I arrive she's been brought in and cleaned up, so my trust in the yard and her behaviour are all I can go on to ensure she's been treated right (they treat her like the princess she is!). This yard has let you and your horse down badly, and once trust has gone, you are best to move. Your boy sounds like a poppet for putting up with it for so long. There will be a better yard out there for you both.