Tut tut.... who got caught drink driving, & now banned

smac

Visit site
The article wont load for me... only the heading.

if it is true - and without any knowledge on my part- an example should be made of her as she is an idol to so many young girls!

and i have no time for anyone having had a friend and on a seperate occasion a horse killed by drink drivers

OneInAMillion

Visit site
Ellen Whitaker caught drink driving is banned
Tuesday 18 October 2011

International nations sweetheart Ellen Whitaker, 25, also one of our 2012 Olympic hopefuls, has apologised after she was caught by police at 2am in her Range Rover Sport following a charity ball in Cheshire.
Whitaker, said she had been driving for less than a mile when she realised she had drunk too much to drive to her home in South Yorkshire. When they pulled her over she smelt of alcohol, prosecutor Debbie Byrne reported to Macclesfield Magistrates Court
She had decided to head back to a friend’s house but was stopped by police officers in Knutsford town centre when she appeared to be lost.
A roadside breath test proved positive and she was taken to a police station where her lowest reading was 77 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath - more than double the legal limit of 35.

If you can't read the article...

I have NO sympathy for her whatsoever :mad:

Foxford

Visit site
It shocks me that people are still thick enough to drink-drive... If only from a selfish point of view the consequences are dire, never mind if some other poor soul gets involved. :( I hope she learns her lesson.

diggerbez

Visit site
It shocks me that people are still thick enough to drink-drive... If only from a selfish point of view the consequences are dire, never mind if some other poor soul gets involved. :( I hope she learns her lesson.

this exactly.
what i find quite shocking (if its true and the article hasn't misquoted anything that is) is that she realised she had drunk too much to drive home- but she thought it was ok to turn around and continue to drive back to her friends??!

OneInAMillion

Visit site
On the H+H article it said she hadn't had to time to eat beforehand - ok that would make a difference but to be 77/100 instead of 35/100 she must have known she'd had a lot

LaurenM

Visit site
Not eating is still not an excuse. If she wanted to drink then she shouldn't have got behind the wheel. Alcohol affects us all differently especially if unwell & on medication. It's simply not worth the risk. It's not as if she couldn't afford a taxi or to think ahead and arrange somewhere to stay!!

MegaBeast

Visit site
Daft... from a purely selfish point of view I would never drink drive as if caught it would be the end of my career as I'd be struck off! Never mind the possible consequences.

applecart14

Visit site
Good serves her right!

One night at a premier show at our local riding club I walked round the corner of the building and saw a very distinctive private registration numbered 4 x 4 reverse into someone's car and drive off!

Went straight upstairs to the judges box who read out the registration number of the car who'd been driven into and dented and then mentioned to a friend the registration number of the offender whose car had driven off and she told me it was someone very famous indeed in the world of SJ!

dunkley

Visit site
Not eating is still not an excuse. If she wanted to drink then she shouldn't have got behind the wheel. Alcohol affects us all differently especially if unwell & on medication. It's simply not worth the risk. It's not as if she couldn't afford a taxi or to think ahead and arrange somewhere to stay!!

Absolutely THIS!!!
If you are going to drive - don't drink - ANYTHING.
Not "Just one",
Not "It will be 'out' by the time I drive"
Not "I'll have something to eat with it"
NOTHING. ZILCH. NADA.

The thing with EW is, it won't affect her life quite like it would affect mere mortals'.
She won't struggle with increased insurance costs.
She won't struggle to find a driver.
But, she may find her reputation suffers considerably.
She should have paid for a bl***y taxi.

Supanova

Visit site
Knowing someone who was at the charity do and was talking to her it sounds like this story has been spun a bit as well in respect of the "not realising how much she'd drunk bit"

imr

Visit site
She's an idiot. She was at a charity ball fgs - she must have known she would drink so why on earth did she plan to drive home and not make a plan that didnt involve driving. Anyone who is twice the legal limit is hammered and obviously so - its incredible she even thought of getting in her car or that noone else stopped her. She should be ashamed of herself - fortunately nothing happened but she could have killed herself or worse still someone else.

That said, the punishments are pretty harsh (I dont disagree btw!) and she should find her lifestyle severely compromised by the ban, so hopefully she will never do it again. That and the public humiliation of this appearing all over the press. One of my sister's friends boyfriends stupidly drove when drunk (rural pub, stranded in the middle of nowhere) and got caught - he was banned for a year and so as not to lose his job (he needs to drive for it) his retired dad had to move in with him and drive him around for work. He feels incredibly guilty and wont be drink driving again I dont think. Another idiot friend of mine did this when we both lived abroad, he was arrested and banned for 3 months, 5000 quid equivalent fine, car impounded and spent 5 days in jail with murderers and all sorts (jails there are not like here), no washing facilities and had his head shaved - he is so ashamed and horrified by the trouble caused to people like me (I paid his fine (he did pay me back!) lied to all our staff about where he was, fetched him and got him released) dont think he will be doing it again either.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Whilst I do not in anyway condone what she has done, I will just point out that the legal limit is around 2 units = a large glass of wine or one pint, so 2 glasses of wine or 2 pints, is hardly "hammered".

dunkley

Visit site
http://www.bizface.co.uk/bizfacefor...much-can-i-drink-before-being-over-limit.html

This makes interesting reading.
However...........as many others have said, the only way to be SURE is not to have anything.
Peoples' bodies process alcohol very differently, depending on their build, their health, whether they have eaten, how used to alcohol they are - a multitude of things. If EW is like any typical SJ'er, Eventer, Hunter, in fact, most riders, I'm sure she will have a fairly 'healthy' tolerance to alcohol ;)

ETA - I know someone who was almost double the limit, had a high tolerance to alcohol, and was, quite definitely, hammered.

Last edited:

Aleka81

Visit site
http://www.bizface.co.uk/bizfacefor...much-can-i-drink-before-being-over-limit.html

This makes interesting reading.
However...........as many others have said, the only way to be SURE is not to have anything.
Peoples' bodies process alcohol very differently, depending on their build, their health, whether they have eaten, how used to alcohol they are - a multitude of things. If EW is like any typical SJ'er, Eventer, Hunter, in fact, most riders, I'm sure she will have a fairly 'healthy' tolerance to alcohol ;)

ETA - I know someone who was almost double the limit, had a high tolerance to alcohol, and was, quite definitely, hammered.

Im afraid the eaten comment is tripe! I will not say how I have expert knowledge of this but just to say what you eat does not affect your breath reading! However it would impact your blood levels if you chose to provide this.

Aleka81

Visit site
Oh and just to add many perceptions that most mortals have re one glass of this or that is also rubbish! Watch the measures in pubs. 25ml 35ml etc. All make a difference. Spirits are your best bet at 25mls and a single believe it or not. Far better than a pint or a 175ml glass of house plonk.

dunkley

Visit site
Im afraid the eaten comment is tripe! I will not say how I have expert knowledge of this but just to say what you eat does not affect your breath reading! However it would impact your blood levels if you chose to provide this.

Apologies for the ambiguity. Of course the food aspect doesn't actually change what is in your system, any more than diluting half a bottle of gin with copious quantities of tonic - it's still half a bottle of gin!. What the amount of food can affect is how you physically/outwardly behave and appear. If I have a glass of wine on an empty stomach, I can outwardly appear very drunk indeed. With a full stomach, it doesn't have anywhere near the same effect. :eek:

TheoryX1

Visit site
Idiot is the word that springs to mind. I have a friend whose uncle was killed by a drunk driver and have seen first hand the devastation that sort of idiocy brings. Also, Mini TX's boyfriend's uncle was killed by a drunk driver a year ago, and he is still suffering. I hope EW is feeling extremely mortified and thoroughly ashamed of herself.

Sorry, no excuse to be drinking and driving. The law exists for a very good reason. I hope her sponsors react accordingly. I am glad to see that EW is not above the law.