Twitching & itchy skin

Savannah14

New User
Visit site
I need as much advice as I can get as I’m stuck! I’ve got a cob mare who always has somewhat itchy feathers if they’re wet or it’s hot ect ect.. (NO SHE DOES NOT HAVE MITES - has been switched and front lined ) but lately her whole body is twitchy. By this I mean she is not itchy, she is just sensitive to the touch. She jitters so mater where in her body you touch her but her mane and withers is definitely worst. We’ve noticed a lump about half way down her neck, it’s solid but it’s become swollen around it this past couple days. Vet thinks it’s an allergy but not sure. Has anyone had any experience with something like this? She just hates being touched, I think it’s almost sore! Although saying that she is fine with a saddle on

Savannah14

New User
Visit site
we’ve owned her since last January, and she has never shown any signs of sweet itch. We figured out today it’s her withers that’s bothering her, all I have to do it point at her withers now and she’s got her back up, not sure if it’s her skin or if it’s something In her joints or muscles.

shergar

Visit site
Google EQUINE NECK THREAD WORMS they live in a ligament in the horses neck and can cause irritation to withers chest and neck ,a friends horse had feather mites the advice from her vet was to give the horse two doses of ivermectin wormer two weeks apart ,the timing is important the first dose will kill adult mites ,the second dose will kill any new hatchlings ,mites have a 7 to 11 day breeding cycle ,the ivermectin wormer kills parasites inside and out..