Two Reins With A NS Universal?

mastermax

Visit site
Hi title is in the question really. I have finally found a show bit for our big cresty strong show cob and he goes well in the Waterford Pelham and cannot lean or get his tongue over the bit. For general hacking and hunting etc he is going in the Waterford Universal ... but.... can this bit be used with a) two reins, and if so what is the action of this, will it help to lower his head and promote an outline and b) do I use it with the leather curb strap and again what effect does this have.
Thanks for your replies in advance... very confused.

KatB

Visit site
You can use it with 2 reins and a curb ;) The top rein with effectively be the snaffle, the bottom rein will act as the "curb" rein (much like a pelham) with the curb, or the gag rein without the curb strap. The strap limits the amount of poll action, but will promote an outline. Without the curb, you will get slightly more poll action, and it will have a lifting and rounding action :)

millitiger

Visit site
i used 2 reins with Millie (no curb) as she found the bottom ring alone too strong (sensitive flower!).

now though, i only use the rein on the top ring (no curb) and she is great so i am not really using the Universal at all... she just seems to prefer the mouthpiece i think.