Two shows in three days... would you?

Shadowdancing

Visit site
As in title really... horse competed last Sunday but not much on for a bit... looks like could end up at two shows in 3 days not next week, week after..

Both jumping
1st quite serious with prize money n over half an hour away
Second nearby prizes in kind 15 mins from home
Max height 1st show 1m 20
Max height second show 1m.
Horse is well and fitter than ever been. Mature at 8 yes old.
Would give complete rest day between the two and after.

Is it still too much? Not done before so need honest!! Xx

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Yes, I would happily do that on consecutive days. Presuming horse is fit. I think a show jumping Show is less tiring than a jumping lesson.

MissTyc

Visit site
With those short distances I'd think it would be much less stressful on the horse than doing 2-3 day shows while staying away from home ... Horse won't even remember the first competition by the time the second starts :)

gunnergundog

Visit site
Assuming horse is in regular work and you are only doing one or two classes at each show, then do it.

Personally, I would also walk hack the horse out on the day in between for a good hour to stretch his muscles and just give a short jog trot up hill as a soundness check.

Years ago there used to be a lot of two and three day shows around (more so than today) and the horses always seemed to jump better on the second day!

Shadowdancing

Visit site
Just to say thanks for your input she went to both shows and excelled herself jumping clear at both. Just as well we did it as I'm now sick in bed and she's starting new year with a holiday. I gave her a short spin on lunge between days and think this was good advice as she was ever so slightly stiff- so slightly you'd only notice if you knew her as well as I do- and the lunging loosened her off. Thanks everyone.

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
In the US our shows are 1-6 weeks long, and usually a horse will show 2-3 days in a row (mostly <1.25m level, lots of amateurs' jumpers and hunters), and a fit enough horse copes just fine. Ours usually get a generous cold-hose of the legs, liniment on the muscles, and some clay on the legs overnight to ward off soreness. I also like to poultice front feet if they've jumped over 1m that day. Since you're coming home in between I'd make sure he gets lots of turnout and a good walk the "day off" to stretch.