Two things i have learnt about Bassetts in 24hrs of owning one!

Ash the arab

Visit site
Firstly, they don't do short walks - a 5 min stroll round the block takes 15mins as they sniff EVERYTHING!
Secondly - they are such busy dogs - Bob seems on a mission whatever he is doing!

Have i got them right or is it just mine??
tongue.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely! They also have very selective hearing - can hear a wrapper crackling in the next room but can't hear you shouting them standing right next to you - if they don't want to!
grin.gif

Ash the arab

Visit site
Yes - selective hearing i missed off my list!!

Now, what about the barking? He has a big bark for the size of him (as i'm aware they all do), but is it something that could be a problem? ie barking continually?? We had 1 session this afternoon (instigated by my cat at the catflap!) that stopped within 5 mins of being ignored!

prose

Visit site
They are so cute, but such stubborn little buggers. Over this ew, you come across a lot of Bassett/Beagle mixes, so they retain the stubborness but pick up 5 more mph of speed
laugh.gif

sevenoceans

Visit site
PMSL... My parents used to breed them and i had one, they are great dogs. mine one had this most pathetic woof!!! what u have just said about your basset... mine is same so was my parent's 3!!! Sadly i lost mine almost 3 years ago to the month and i missed him dreadfully. (i now have a Jack russell which is much more lively!!!)

Freudmarch93-april03.jpg

k9h

Visit site
Musn't forget the continual slobber!! The bark is great I had mine in a stable when she was a pup. A friend hacked through my yard& she started to bark. Mate was like what the heck have you got in there a 8foot great dane. So I opened the door out waddled 3 months of flab!!!
They are very affectionate & loyal.
If I have to tell mine of she will sit but not look me in the eye. If something catches her eye she will start to turn her head then when about to make I contact raise her head till past & then lower it again!!!
Highly intelligent if it is for their own use/good!! Especially where food is concerened. Mine can open a 4' pendal bin!!!
But I wouldn't be without her!
grin.gif

fmay

Visit site
I don't think I could stand the slobbering
crazy.gif

We have a lurcher and terriers but daughter wants a lab - relatives lab who comes to visit always has slobbery jaws - eww
crazy.gif