tying up advise?

Walder

Visit site
please can any one advise me? i did 16 mile ride on monday with section D pony - i had done quite a bit of fittening work but we took it slowly as ground was hard (3 Hours) 2 hour journey back but she was turned out in big field for 3 hours she drank gave her salt in night feed and again next morning - she was very stiff and sore in ham string - gave them a good massage last night and it seemed to help. my query is, Was she not fit enough for that distance, is she not cut out to do it and am i wrong taking her ( i want to be able to do them perhaps once every 2 months but no more than 20 miles) can any one offer any advise on how to avoid this stiffness and lastly is this tying up? if so is it common after 24 hours? She is 14 yrs but has no miles on the clock - she is not fed cereal and has glucosime daily. Thanks for any help x x

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I think magnesium in particular is supposed to be very good and would help as a preventative measure with this, i wonder if some kind of anti inflammatory such as devils claw could help also. It sounds like given the fact you had helped to get her fitter and took it slow it doesnt sound like it was too much on the outset. But it does sound like her body struggled a bit. It has been very mild and close, so this weather makes them sweat a whole lot more than usual.
I just read someone that, electrolytes, minerals, calcium, phosphorous, vitamin E and selenium are important to help prevent it
Also adding fats for slow release oils may help too