Tying up syptoms but not tied up??

Troylimbo1

Visit site
Hi all,

After a little bit of help for a friend of mine. Her horse (2 days ago) started showing syptoms similar to that of a horse thats tied up.
The vet has been out and is waiting to run some bloods on Weds but has diagnosed ESM I think its called.
My friend went and looked this condition up and none of the symptoms match up.
This is a fit horse who is out in the day and in at night. He was last worked on Thursday and was fab inb the school then out of the blue he is very stiff and tucked up. He is eating and drinking normally and is bright and alert although clearly in a lot of pain.

Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance

flintfootfilly

Visit site
I'm guessing you mean EPSM (also known as PSSM)? Equine polysaccharide storage myopathy.

The bloods will look for raised muscle enzymes, which could be for quite a number of reasons.

Type 1 EPSM can be confirmed cheaply by a hair sample sent for DNA testing. Costs £25 through Animal Genetics in Cornwall.

But you can get similar signs for other muscle disorders too.

Sarah

Wundahorse

Visit site
I posted a thread about my Arab mare last weekend and the differential diagnosis was between laminitis and Tie up.Blood tests confirmed tie up,hence she is resting,more bloods taken for LFT'S and vet to review when blood results come in after the BH.Vet said there was no signs of laminitis in her feet.It is difficult when the physical presentation is indicative of several disorders.Have you checked for signs of jaundice?

undertheweather

Visit site
I had this with my old pony. We went hunting and she suddenly went stiff (like she had tied up), got her home and called vet. Vet thought tied up but bloods came back saying that she hadn't tied up. She had a really strange action and this lasted for 4 months. Bute made no difference. The day before she was meant to go to Liphook she miraculously went back to normal, and the only thing that I had changed was I had started giving her cortaflex that week. The physiotherapy had also built her up. As part of the physiotherapy I was also riding her a bit. She wasn't in pain, but her action had changed completely.

She lost a lot of weight during this time as well, but came back better than ever and the vet still doesn't know what was wrong with her.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Okay, this might sound completely off the wall, but have you considered Laminitis?

My thoughts exactly! I had a horse last week present with typical tying up symptoms, really tucked up, stiff hind legs etc. Turned out he has laminitis in the hind feet.