Tying up

Marilyn

Visit site
This is a confusing one, probably more me than her..

My mare has a history of Azoturia but in the last three years she has had lots of time off, had a foal and not tied up since. She has been back on some sort of work for about 18 months now and I could count the number of times I have ridden her on two hands. My in-laws like to ride so she goes hacking with them, but I just worry about riding her in case she ties up again. I went out on her yesterday and she was fab. I tried a bitless bridle and although I couldn't steer at all, it was the most forward and relaxed she's even been. When I ride in a normal bridle, if i take up a contact (by which I mean literally having a secure contact with the reins and her mouth) she starts to almost hyperventilate which worries me as I think she's going to tie up and then she doesn't go forwards and I don't know what to do. I'm thinking of trying a naite but to see if that'll stop the hyperventilating...any advice on what to do to be less pathetic.

lister

Visit site
maybe she had some pain in her month, poll or neck. and when you make a connection with the rein to the mouth she has some sort of pain.

My mare has this a the moment, but it's when she walks down hill and we found out that she has a weakness in her hocks

Kezza

Visit site
I have heard of cramping in the hind legs to be caused by horses straining too much i.e. pulling against you and wanted to go but being held back, not sure where I read it though ... It can look the same as azatoria ... not sure if that is of any help at all though ???

Marilyn

Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts, she has definitely tied up in the past, it's just I've lost confidence in her and worry that she'll get ill again.